Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to purchase in the future, have questions

tag
dursty87
Established Contributor

Looking to purchase in the future, have questions

As the title says I am looking to purchase a home in the in about 8 months when my lease runs up.  I know this is some ways away but I want to make sure I am heading in the right direction.  I also have some questions and am hoping you guys/gals can help me out with advice!

So first things first....

Credit - I am not sure on my EQ04 but as far as the FICO08 models I am anywhere from 695-730(it fluctuates a few points here and there depending on UTIL but stays in that range)  I currently have 1 auto loan, 1 LOC, 3 store cards, and 9 revolving(credit cards).  Oldest account is 9 years, AAoA is about 1.2 years (this is excluding AU's).  No negatives whatsoever.
Income - $62-70k/year

Source of income - My salary is $50k + monthly bonus.

Monthly debt payments - $900 month with about $7k in CC debt. 
Employment - 6 years with current employer, 11 years in the industry
Assets/Reserves - Currently have $4k in savings..
Location - Somewhere in the triangle, NC (wake county)
Property - Single family house, looking to spend around $150k.

Now for the questions....

1.  I work in the restaurant business and have done so since I was 16.  I currently manage a restaurant with a base salary of $50k.  There is monthly performance bonus that I am eligble for in which I can make an extra $12-20k a year.  My last 2 years tax returns show $62k and $63k.  Is this going to be an issue to use for income?
2.  I had to take a leave (approx 7 months, March2014-Oct2014) in which I moved back home to take care of my sick parents for awhile.  I worked while I was there, in the same industry, making the same amount of money.  I had a gap of about 2-3 weeks on each end in which I didn't work (moving, finding a place to live, etc.)  Will this hurt my employment requirement for a mortgage?  I realize it is going to drop my income for 2014 a little.
3.  I currently have about $7k in CC debt that I will have paid down to $2k, if not paid off, by the time I apply.  This will bring my DTI to roughly 16%.  Is that acceptable?
4.  I was very fortunate to have grandfather that left me a nice sum of money when he passed.  It is currently in a trust fund and is about $180k.  I am going to be using some of this for the down payment.  Would this be considered assets/reserves?  Or would it be a "gift" type deal.

I am currently in the garden as I don't want to hurt my AAoA or add any more inq's leading up the trying to get a mortgage.  My last HP was 12/14.  I am still reading up and trying to understand the differences between all the loan types(FHA,conventenial, fixed, etc).  There is so much involved which is why I am trying to get an early start.

Any advice given will be greatly apreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.