cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lose your house, lose your down payment?

tag
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Lose your house, lose your down payment?

I asked this question on Yahoo Answers and other places and no one can get me a straight answer.  They usually go off topic, so I assume that only kids were responding to my posts.  Hopefully someone here help me.  I have never owned a home, and I understand that putting 20% down on a home saves you a lot of money in interest and lowers your monthly payments.  However, if you put down $20,000 of your hard earned savings, and can no longer make your house payments, will they just take your house along with the $20,000 you put down just like that?  Thanks.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lose your house, lose your down payment?

Yes, if you foreclose on your home you forfeit any equity you already have in your home.
Message 2 of 19
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Isn't that the biggest risk in the world?  Also, do they only foreclose on you are three months of nonpayment?  I just think it is scary to think that 10+ years from now if you are always on time and something horrible happens, you can lose your house and savings.  All of my life unexpected things have happened that I tried to work very hard to get over but eventually the inevitable happened.  So it has reached a point where I am just waiting for bad things to happen.
Message 3 of 19
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

I understand your point but seriously, did you consider the OTHER side of the table? The lender who is LOANING you 80% to own your own home = they are in business to collect profit from your INTEREST, if you dont pay your monthly payment they are in a double loss.

Also, if after 10 years something DOES happen dont forget you have a variety of options available - credit, HELOC, and a 2nd mortgage..

Now the standards of owning a home are becoming strict (or normal might I say) that they do an extensive check before approving loan - from employment verificiation to DITI ratios...

And a home is a worthwhile risk having said ALL that any day over renting! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FicoPower wrote:
Isn't that the biggest risk in the world?  Also, do they only foreclose on you are three months of nonpayment?  I just think it is scary to think that 10+ years from now if you are always on time and something horrible happens, you can lose your house and savings.  All of my life unexpected things have happened that I tried to work very hard to get over but eventually the inevitable happened.  So it has reached a point where I am just waiting for bad things to happen.

Believe me, I know *exactly* how you feel. DH is the one that was always obsessed with buying a house. Me? The very thought scared the poop out of me (and still does, even though I'm glad we did it). I still look at our backyard (where I spend a LOT of time) and even though I'm loving every minute of it, I get a bad case of "Whatif-itis."

Stuff happens. Things change. And buying a house, putting your hopes, sweat, money, life, etc, into it is SCARY. But it is a part of life. Crap happens, but you can't just put everything on hold just for a case of "Whatifs" yannow?

So, me, I rationalize it all. I turn my "Whatifs" around. "Whatif" we hadn't have bought our house? How would that have been? Living the rest of our lives putting $$ into someone else's pocket? We wouldn't have met our wonderful new neighbors, for one. I wouldn't have gotten to watch my kids love their new pool, or have fun painting their rooms (we never painted in our apartments).

So ask yourself: "Whatif" you hadn't have bought a house? How would *that* have impacted your life? Hasn't owning a home changed your life for the better? Sure, it comes with oodles of risks, but then, so does everything worthwhile. Loving someone carries the risk that they could die or leave you -- but isn't that a risk worth taking considering what your get in return?

Sorry to get all philosophical ... but you kinda hit a chord with me. DH is NOT in the same boat as you and I. He's just dumb-happy that we finally got off our butts and bought a house. But then, I'm the one that does the bills, so maybe that has something to do with it. :/

Anywho, think positively. It really does help. Trust me.

And FTR, typically, foreclosure on a home takes *waaaaayyyy* longer than 3 months. 9 months to a year is more like it. At least, in our neck of the woods, it is. YMMV.
Message 5 of 19
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

I understand the lender's point of view, I am not asking for special favors.  I just think that it is too scary to get into a situation like that where you can lose all of the thousands of dollars that you put into a home.  I understand that is the best option and that it is a part of life, but there were times in my life when I didn't have enough money and not because I didn't plan for things, but because of unthinkable financial problems all hitting at once.  For example, back when I was 20 years old, my dad had to return his car and take the bus to work, and at the same time my car broke down and I couldn't afford the $800 to fix it. 

So I had no transportation to work and I couldn't get a ride so I had to quit.  So I had to sit at home, calling around for jobs that were unavailable.  I ran up my credit and used up all of my savings.  Fortunately I have about $35,000 in the bank and 5 credit cards now, I had to earn all of that money myself, not a hand me down inheritance or anything since my family are losers. I just don't want to fall into those situations where you can be prepared for the worse but sometimes you have no choice.

*edit* I just read your post now Wonderin, kudos to you and thanks Smiley Happy

Message Edited by FicoPower on 05-06-2009 08:12 AM
Message Edited by FicoPower on 05-06-2009 08:12 AM
Message 6 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And FTR, typically, foreclosure on a home takes *waaaaayyyy* longer than 3 months. 9 months to a year is more like it. At least, in our neck of the woods, it is. YMMV.

Really?  Around my part of the world it seems to happen like clockwork.  After that third payment is missed *bam* you're in foreclosure.  Of course, neither me or any close friends or relatives have had first hand experience, thank God, so I'm speaking entirely on secondhand knowledge.

But Fico, think of the alternatives.  If you buy a house and get foreclosed on in 10 years, you will lose all your equity, sure.  Now, if you hadn't bought a house and instead rented for those same 10 years, you wouldn't have any equity to lose.  Your landlord would have all the equity Smiley Wink.  I am in the process of closing on a house the same size as the one I've been renting, but in a MUCH MUCH nicer part of town at the end of a dead-end street and my mortgage with taxes and insurance included is going to be $100 less than my monthly rent payment was.

So you can either pay monthly to build equity and risk losing it all, or "play it safe" and give your money to someone else, where it will do nothing for you.  Just something to consider.  I'm not saying that there is no risk with owning a home, you could buy a home and find out it has major problems that you are stuck with, whereas with a rental you would just move out.  Things like that, but if you find a real keeper, it's worth it.

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 05-06-2009 08:20 AM

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's a risk you assess for yourself.  i've lost jobs, had considerable health bills to pay, etc. etc. but i've always found a way to make enough money to pay the bills.  Even if you use your savings to buy a house, you can always build that back up.  OR, the other side of it, is use only a portion of your savings so that way you don't deplete it.  If the risk is too much for you, then by all means there would be no need to buy a house.  there are people out there that rent for life and enjoy it.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thrasher865 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Really?  Around my part of the world it seems to happen like clockwork.  After that third payment is missed *bam* you're in foreclosure.  Of course, neither me or any close friends or relatives have had first hand experience, thank God, so I'm speaking entirely on secondhand knowledge.

I don't have any *real* first hand experience in it either, but I did scope the foreclosures (and felt REALLY guilty while I did it) and what I saw in our area was that going from Lis Penden to eviction (from talking to RE agents about those homes) took anywhere from 6-9 months. From that point on, it was "officially" foreclosed.

In fact, the home right next to us (which I've complained about since there are STILL no buyers -- and it's been on the market for almost a year) was a foreclosure. Up until about 5 months ago, the previous owner still had access to it. The bank that owns it now evicted him only in December ('08), whereas they initiated foreclosure proceedings that February ('08). At least, that's when the house first hit the court dockets as a Lis Penden.

Part of it, I think, might be the banks preference to keep someone *in* the home, rather than leave it open to vandalism, squatters, theft, arson, etc. THAT happened to the house next to us. Someone (and many believe it was the previous owner) completely trashed the place and stole ALL the appliances, sinks, toilets (canyabelieveit?), pipes, marble countertops, etc. Place was absolutely *gorgeous* at one time -- huge, very luxury - now it's a pit. Smiley Sad

They even believe that squatters lived there for a while. What's weird is that this is a NICE nieghborhood. :/

It IS different in different states, though. Some states are super quick, whereas others are super slow. I think FL kinda hits around the middle, but closer to the slow end. :/
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

FicoPower -

Determining if you can afford the home really has many factors.

1.  First is your down payment.  If you have the money for down, this is step 1.

2.  Income and income stability.  Do you have the income within reasonable debt to income ratios?

3.  Credit.  Do you have the credit to obtain the loan at reasonable rates.

4.  Savings.  Will you be "broke" after your down payment and closing?  If so, you are not ready, IMO.

5.  Can you save money after you close?  If not, you cannot afford the house, IMO.  You need less house or continue to rent.

6.  Do you have an emergency fund of minimum 3 months, but need to get to 6 months?  If not, wait until you do.  Your down payment should not be from emergency funds.  Just as you mentioned, if an emergency comes up and you don't have the funds, you lose the car, home, credit, and take the bus while living in a cheap apartment.

Far too many people treat buying a home like rent.  We should be concerned with our potential risk, but we should be concerned about the lenders risk, that's just the honest truth and way to do business.  Your concern for the lender is part of your "Good Credit" and what good credit means.

As for equity, no you don't automatically forfeit it.  If the foreclosure sale generates more money than the loan balance and fees, you get the difference as your equity.  If the home has appreciated over the years (like normal, not right now) then you are also protected partially by that.

Also, if you have emergency funds and come to a point that you know you won't be able to afford the home long term, you have the money and time to SELL the house and get your equity out.  It is only when a home is liquidated that you lose your proverbial ass in the deal.  If you have 3 to 6 months, you stand a much better chance of finding a buyer.  Or you could move out to a cheap apartment and consider renting.  The point is, you have choices if you plan properly and make sure you aren't rushing in unprepared for the true responsibilities and risks associated with home ownership.

It is good you are not taking this decision lightly.  Save your down.  Save your emergency funds.  Only buy what you can afford (which means in addition to your normal savings...equity is not savings) and live within your means.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.