Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 12 points in 10 days?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lost 12 points in 10 days?

Hi everyone!

My fiance really wants us to buy a home in the next few months, but I am a little skeptical of how everything will go. His credit is great- he's got no lates and a score of 760 (pulled by lender). My score pulled on 1/13 was 617 due to a few lates on CCs last year and one collection (paid in full) from 2010. My worry is that I will drag him down, and ruin his chances of getting a mortgage. He wants me on the mortgage to improve his DTI since I have no debt other than a $7800 car note (always paid on time since '09) and he has about 4 or 5 credit cards plus a car note (~$8000) eating up his available credit. He was preapproved on his own for $150k (he is a teacher making about $40,000 annually).

I decided I would pay off the one credit card i have (Discover) and pull my own credit to get a current score. I know the Discover card's $0 balance won't be reflected in this updated score since it is so recent, but the most recent number I got a few days ago was 605. The scores I'm looking at are both Equifax (pulled by lender 617 on 1/13 and then I pulled it on here 1/24= 605). I was a little bummed because my score had dropped 12 points in less than 2 weeks. I'm hoping that the lender will look at the 617 that they pulled, but now I am not sure if I should bring it up or not. I feel great that I paid off my credit card but I don't want them to see the recent dip in my score. Any advice for me?

By the way, we're preapproved together  for $215,000 through Wells Fargo and the scores I'm looking at are both Equifax (pulled by lender 617 on 1/13 and then I pulled it on here 1/24). The range of houses we are looking to buy is about $160k - $170k with FHA's required 3.5% down. (Although I am afraid I might bump that up with my poor score now!)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Lost 12 points in 10 days?

Did you compare the 2 reports side-by-side to see where you might have lost those extra points?

Message 2 of 4
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Was EQ your middle score?  If it was your lowest score, it doesn't really matter.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I decided I would pay off the one credit card i have (Discover) and pull my own credit to get a current score.

When you pulled the new report was the Discover card in fact reporting the $0 balance.  Having 0% utilization can actually drag your score down. If the old balance was still reporting and the score dropped then something else caused the drop.  As suggested, compare the reports.  Look at what it says is hurting your score.  Letting a small balance report on the Discover card get you some more points.  Try and keep it in the 3-5% utilization range though. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.