Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Appraisal

tag
QueenBeeOC
Regular Contributor

Low Appraisal

our appraisal came in at $514K and our purchase price is $538K.

This is the 2nd appraisal done on the house, and the last one was $510K and was done in Feb. 

We have given $16,260 already.

What are our options? Walk away, give more down? Or wait for seller to drop his price.

If we walk, do we get all that money back?

Seller is under contract already on replacement property, he's not even LIVING in this house. So hoping he'll bring his price down.

Southwest: $9k - Discover It $1,900 - Amazon $2,900 - CAP1 - $1,500 - QuickSilver (FKA Orchard) - $900 - J. Crew $1K - LOFT $1K - Nordstroms $1K - Amex BCE - $3,000
Scores: Credit Karma 687, Credit Sesame 660- EQ 643 - EX 665 (from Amex)- TQ 655 Lender Pull: 693

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Low Appraisal

You can get your realtor to ask for a price reduction. You can pay the difference. You can walk away.

Do you have a realtor? If yes then use them. They should be advising you on this.

Message 2 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

This is the 2nd appraisal done on the house, and the last one was $510K and was done in Feb. 

What are our options? Walk away, give more down? yes Or wait for seller to drop his price. i would walk if they do not lower price. it is over priced

If we walk, do we get all that money back?  yes

Seller is under contract already on replacement property, he's not even LIVING in this house. So hoping he'll bring his price down.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 13
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

DLG,

in a case where the appraisal is lower than the asking price...if the buyer chose to pay the amount to get down to the appraisal price, would they still have to put additional money down to cover the downpayment?  for example:

selling price:   100

appraised price:  90

if i am putting 10% down, would I have to put 10% of 90 on top of the 10 that i'm paying to get home to appraisal price?  which mean, i'm paying 10 (to get the sales prices down to appraised price) and an additional 9 (to cover the 10% downpayment).

that's just like giving the seller an additional 10 for no reason at all.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

DLG,

in a case where the appraisal is lower than the asking price...if the buyer chose to pay the amount to get down to the appraisal price, would they still have to put additional money down to cover the downpayment?  for example:

if i am putting 10% down, would I have to put 10% of 90 on top of the 10 that i'm paying to get home to appraisal price?  which mean, i'm paying 10 (to get the sales prices down to appraised price) and an additional 9 (to cover the 10% downpayment).

you are paying 10 over market value + 9 down payment(10% of 90).

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@frugalQ wrote:

DLG,

The lender loans on the appraised value or the contract price whichever is lower.

If the appraisal comes in low and you can not get the seller to reduce the price to the appraised value - then you have two choices, negotiate a new contract price or walk away from the deal.

Think of it as a disagreement in valuation.  The buyer and seller think it is worth 100 but the bank says its only worth 90 (in your example). Since the bank is the one with the money - they get to use their value if you choose to use their money.  eg: The one with the gold, rules.

Just because the appraiser comes in with a lower value - it doesn't necessarily mean that it is worth that value but the rules of the 'game' means that is the value that is used. I have personally seen appraisals where the value is off - either too low or too high. If you get 10 appraisers valuing a given property - you will end up with a range of values, especially in a neighborhood that has low turnover. Keep in mind that appraisers have different abilities too - and different experiences. Some appraisers are truly excellent and professional and do an outstanding job.  Others, not so much. Read every word of the appraisal and review the comparable sales. That will tell you from the appraisers POV more about the subject property (the house you are buying). If you see large miscellaneous adjustments, then I would question the ability of the appraiser. Or question the instructions provided to the appraiser by the entity that ordered the appraisal.

That is why the decision to pursue the deal after a low appraisal is very important. If the value isn't there for the buyer and the seller won't negotiate to the appraised value, then the buyer has to decide if it is worth it to pursue. If they don't have the cash, then the option is made for them - they have to cancel. Otherwise it becomes a business decision based on the factors the buyer knows at that point in time. Sometimes it is worth the difference and other times it really isn't. 

Best thing to do is to review each and every comp the appraiser used and decide for yourself (both buyer and seller).

Message 6 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

What are our options? Walk away, give more down? Or wait for seller to drop his price.

If we walk, do we get all that money back?

This is good for your side. Your Realtor should be all over this. I use the apprasial in situations like this to get it to the appraised value. Selling agent (your agent) talks to listing agent - shows comps and value and gets addendum reducing price. Works almost all the time. Unless you have a sellers market, limited inventory and buyers with enough cash to not care that the appraisal came in low.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean, if it appraised that low twice, and assuming 99% of buyers who are going to buy a 500K+ house will be using financing, then anyone the seller could possibly hope to sell to will run into the same problem, whether it's you or the next buyer or the next one. That's the line of reasoning your realtor should be using. 

Message 8 of 13
QueenBeeOC
Regular Contributor

UPDATE Low Appraisal

Seller accepted LOWER price that house appraised at!! AND still paying our closing!!

Thanks everyone Smiley Happy

Southwest: $9k - Discover It $1,900 - Amazon $2,900 - CAP1 - $1,500 - QuickSilver (FKA Orchard) - $900 - J. Crew $1K - LOFT $1K - Nordstroms $1K - Amex BCE - $3,000
Scores: Credit Karma 687, Credit Sesame 660- EQ 643 - EX 665 (from Amex)- TQ 655 Lender Pull: 693

Message 9 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: UPDATE Low Appraisal

Yea! Congrats! Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.