Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowball offer??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowball offer??

OK, so I got pre-approved for $100,000 to my surprise, but now I have found two houses at 99900. My Dad keeps insisting that I make a lowball offer 20% less than asking (80000). With this market, the housing meltdown, and the just announced 700 billion buyout of walstreet is this the right thing to do? Will I get refused in this market? will the seller be insulted or will they entertain any offer?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lowball offer??

How long has the house been on the market?
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Snail, I gave a lowball offer and the seller flat out refused me--didn't even counter. Because it was an estate sale and not even on the market, I was able to submit another offer to seller without fear that someone else would beat me to it. Long, crazy, stressful story short, I ended up getting a "yes" on $5000 less than the asking price. And, as it turns out, it makes sense because I got an appraisal showing the house was worth $15000 more than I paid. My offer was way under. In our case, it wasn't worth the $15000 difference to pass on the house. You have to ask yourself that...how much do you want it, and are you willing to budge on your end. If the house has been on the marker for a long time, or if it is a short sale or foreclosure, from what I am seeing here in FL, you can often gamble on a lowball and win. Don't forget, too, that the amount you are approved to finance is usually the amount you pay after covering closing costs and down payment.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would do some research on the properties before you make an offer. Is it a short sale, how long on the market, any liens, ext. I was in the same place as you and made a low ball offer on a house and it was accepted. I was so pumped and thought wow things are going to work out. About 2 weeks later I found out the house was a short sale and the only reason the seller accepted was because really it wasn't up to him, but up to his bank. The seller will accept any offer in order to get the short sale process started...Shady.  Basically you want to make sure the seller is able to accept a below asking price offer. Its hard to find out what someone may owe on their mortgage, because a useful tool is county property tax records. You should be able to tell how long someone has owned the home and come up with a rough estimate on what they may still owe on the mortage.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The house I want has been listed for about 6 weeks, so not long (I may be the first offer). The house was listed in 2004 for $110,000, and is now being listed as $99,900. I'm assuming the seller didn't have any luck and also made some improvements in the property since then (I am assuming to add to sale price). The seller is motivated in that I know they are moving out of state (I don't know when or if they have another house yet). My agent says it seems fairly priced...It is not listed as a short sale. It's my understanding that listing agent's in this market will urge a counteroffer to anything as long as it is not ridiculous. 80,000 as my first offer would hopefully open negotiations, and I am hoping to split the difference and perhaps get it at 90,000 or a little less. My agent will prepare the offer as tactfully as possible including reasons, etc. also that I can tailor closing date to the seller's timeframe. What do you think?
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go for it. It doesnt hurt to offer. Let me know how things go
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it depends on how bad you want the house. Walking in and insulting the seller off the bat is like shooting yourself in the foot. Have you checked comps in the area and checked the difference between what the average list price and selling prices are? 
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't mean to hi jack this thread but was wondering how about a house that has been on the market 3.5 years.  It was a custom but no one has ever bought it.  The rest of the neighborhood is still building new homes and existing homes are already sold. I am in Oklahoma so housing issues have not really hit us as a market.  Not sure why it has not sold.  Beautiful home.  Asking price was 435,000 now 390,000.  We have had our eye on this property for a couple of years.  Any suggestions from the experts on this site to lowball an offer? maybe 200,000?

Thank you
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure in 3.5 years, the builder has received some offers on the property. It's likely they were not high enough to cover the costs and atleast break even. Some builders are stubborn enough to carry the costs to hold a home if the market isn't yielding what was anticipated for the home. I wouldn't expect even a house sitting for that long to sell for 1/2 the asking price, unless of course the market has come down that far in your area. If new homes are still being built in the area and they are selling, it doesn't sound like your market is suffering as much as many others. What are the other new homes in your area selling for?  Are they selling in the $200k range?  If so, you may be on to something. If they are still selling in the $300-400k range, I wouldn't expect the builder to accept a $200k offer on a $390k asking price.

jamtamash wrote:
Don't mean to hi jack this thread but was wondering how about a house that has been on the market 3.5 years.  It was a custom but no one has ever bought it.  The rest of the neighborhood is still building new homes and existing homes are already sold. I am in Oklahoma so housing issues have not really hit us as a market.  Not sure why it has not sold.  Beautiful home.  Asking price was 435,000 now 390,000.  We have had our eye on this property for a couple of years.  Any suggestions from the experts on this site to lowball an offer? maybe 200,000?

Thank you

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

snailboy wrote:
The house I want has been listed for about 6 weeks, so not long (I may be the first offer). The house was listed in 2004 for $110,000, and is now being listed as $99,900.
I suggest maybe going a little higher but ask for closing cost assistance - Example: Offer $85,000 but ask for $5000 in closing costs.

I say go for it as well. 6 weeks means they've already paid one months mortgage and are about to pay another one. I think it's a good time to offer. Of if you're brave, wait it out another 2-4 weeks.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.