Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowered FICO score due to mortgage inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lowered FICO score due to mortgage inquiries

Maybe people could also help me understand the difference between the scores that mortgage lenders get and the credit scores that I get when I subscribe to a service that purports to tell me those scores. Right now I subscribe to 'free credit report' from Experian. My score on that service remains at 761, but the scores that my lender has pulled (and reported to me) are well below that. Also on the Experian site, 7 hard pulls are listed. I have consulted with three mortgage companies and 2 insurance companies.
Message 11 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

SusanE wrote:
Maybe people could also help me understand the difference between the scores that mortgage lenders get and the credit scores that I get when I subscribe to a service that purports to tell me those scores. Right now I subscribe to 'free credit report' from Experian. My score on that service remains at 761, but the scores that my lender has pulled (and reported to me) are well below that. Also on the Experian site, 7 hard pulls are listed. I have consulted with three mortgage companies and 2 insurance companies.

Ignore those scores. Those are not FICO scores. It is impossible to pull your own FICO score, but your lender can and likely will. The only place to get TU and EQ together on the web is myFICO.

To echo everyone, if mortgage and auto inquiries are pulled within a 14 or 30 day time frame, and depending on the CRA and the version of FICO score used, then those inquiries per each CRA are counted as one single inquiry. FICO understands that you'd want to shop around for the best rate when making a major purchase like that.

Make sure you aren't comparing your FICO score from the lender and the FAKO score sold by freecreditreport.com.
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, are the scores I get on MyFico the real scores??
Message 13 of 24
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, ma'am.  The scores on myFiCO are the real deal.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 14 of 24
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

YES, they are.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 15 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

SusanE wrote:

I hope I didn't confuse things. Looking back on my post I mean to say "It is impossible to pull your own EX FICO score" rather than saying "It is impossible to pull your own FICO score".

Susan, you were comparing your lender's scores with the scores from freecreditreport.com, right?

Message Edited by llecs on 04-23-2009 08:55 PM
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, yes.
Message 17 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

There is a bit of good news...at least your score didn't drop 50+ points. There's steps you can take to get your FICO score to 750 and beyond.
Message 18 of 24
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

Question: Even though it only counts as one inquiry, they still list them separately on the credit reports right? Because I applied in February to 3 different lenders within 2 days and I see all 3 lenders listed under inquiries on my credit report.

Thanks.

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 24
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@musikklvr wrote:

Question: Even though it only counts as one inquiry, they still list them separately on the credit reports right? Because I applied in February to 3 different lenders within 2 days and I see all 3 lenders listed under inquiries on my credit report.

Thanks.

Yes, they will all list separately, but Fico "sees" them as one inquiry.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.