Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowest FICO on FHA Automated Approval??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowest FICO on FHA Automated Approval??

Hey Mortgage Experts and Homebuyers,

Can anyone share their experiences on the lowest FICO score you know to pass through FHA Autmated Approval? Also, what were some of the other factors/variables (downpayment amount, low DTI, reserves, low "shock" payment, etc.) that may have helped the application through automated underwriting, even with a low FICO?

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lowest FICO on FHA Automated Approval??

reserves and high down payment will usually get you through bad credit to some degree.  580 FICO is the minimum that most investors want to buy but there there are a few places still doing lower than 580.  I think that in automated, low DTI, reserves, and a higher down payment will be needed to negate a subpar FICO.
Message 2 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Just above 500 is the lowest I've seen, but I'm sure with lower scores, 50% down, 10% DTI, and plenty of reserves in the bank could get approved too.  But like mickie pointed out you also have to be aware of lender FICO score requirments, and most are at a 580 these days.  Appears your mid score is 575, but what is the rest of your situation?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

- FICO updated below

- Income is $2600/gross from my "9-5" job (since 2003), and I also run a home-based tax preparation business (since 2006) between Jan-April that generates an average of $12/k per year. So I average $3600/month. Is this how it would calculated?

- Current rent is $890/month

- NO Car payment (at least not on credit report, lol)

- $6000 downpayment - $2000 savings and $4000 gift from community organization

- reserves will be $1100

- Credit Reports the following:

CREDIT CARDS                          

- CC #1                        $659/$1000           $40/month

- CC #2                        $0/$300                PIF 12/31/08, hasn't updated on reports yet

- CC #3                        $0/$250                PIF 12/31/08, hasn't updated on reports yet

- CC #4                        $639/$850            $36/month

PERSONAL LOAN

- Bank #1                     $1142                  $142/month, last payment due in 8/2009 (less than 10-months)

STUDENT LOANS

- Sub/UnSub, total 6 student loans             All deferred until 2012, while I'm still in school

COLLECTIONS

- Student Loan #A                                    PIF and closed since 2003

- Student Loan #B                                    PIF and closed since 2005

So with this additional info. what do you think? Will it pass automated? Will it pass manual? If so, how much of a loan to actually expect? BTW, I will only look at properties where the seller is willing to pay 6% closing costs.                       

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CREDIT CARDS                          

- CC #1                        $659/$1000           $40/month

- CC #4                        $639/$850            $36/month

I know this wasn't your question but if you're looking for a few extra points for padding, you might get them by paying your other two credit cards off or nearly off.  They are at high-ish utilization now, especially #4.  Not that I would touch your reserve funds, but if you can make more than the minimum payment on #4 that would be good..  Hopefully paying off #2 and #3 gets you a few points too when they report.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Assuming your tax prepation business nets $12k/year after expenses, not just grosses it, then a two year average is taken.. and then if that equals $1k then $1k would be used.  Items such as declining income, erratic income (such as one year significantly different than another) can throw out a year and just base it on a 12 month time period.

As long as your debt to income ratio sticks to the 31/43% rule you should be fine, anything over that you would start needing to have reserves.  Since I don't know what your sales price range is or where you are looking to buy, I can't say if you can qualify for the type of home you have your eyes set on, but assuming a 1.5% tax rate, $60/mo for homeowners insurance, and a 3.5% down payment, 5% interest rate, and using $3,600/mo of qualifying income, a $155k sales price might be where you cap out at... your housing portion of the DTI is about 31.3% with that scenario using a payment of $1,125/mo.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.