Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIP refund question

tag
SDChrgrboy2
Valued Member

MIP refund question

I have a question for Shane or someone familar with FHA loans. I recently refied with an FHA loan to an FHA 203 k and just closed.  Thie original loan closed in 9/30/09 and I paid $4,352.60 upfront.    I looked at the chart on the FHA website and if I looked at it correctly, this would be year 2, month 4 which would entitle me to an refund of approx $2,176 correct?  But for some reason WF only is giving me a refund of $1,004.   So something seems off.

Am I doing this wrong? Any input would be appreciated

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MIP refund question

Often times they use some of this money to cover loan costs.  That is where alot of zero out o fpocket FHA refis come from if the loan is in early stages.  Not sure if that is the case here, but it is possible.

Message 2 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You should have a bigger refund if you paid $4,352 in September.  I'd ask Wells Fargo for their FHA Connection printout that shows how much of a refund you'd get if the loan closes in X month vs. X month, etc.  It's something that every lender gets on an FHA to FHA refinance (whether it's a streamline transction or a full credit qualifying refinance like you did on the 203k).

$1,004 is only 23% of $4,352... which is the amount of refund you'd have if the loan was being refinanced into a new FHA mortgage between the 5th & 6th month of the 3rd year of the mortgage term (not 5th & 6th month of the 2nd year, like it should be).  To me it seems like they put in a closing date 12 months after they should have.  That FHA Connection printout is the only thing that matters though, so ask your processor to send you a copy or at least bring it up in their system so they can see the amount of FHA refund listed.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 5
SDChrgrboy2
Valued Member

Shane, thanks.  They did say they made an error.  We could have drawn up new documents but I didn't want to delay the closing anymore since we started the process in December.  I was told that when Wells receives the MIP refund, they will catch the error and hopefully send me back the $1000.  I have called the national center to confimr the amount, but was told it get's sent directly to Wells.  I am hoping that it doesnt just vanish

Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome.  Just be in touch with Wells Fargo every couple weeks to make sure they aren't sitting on it.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.