Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major downsides to applying now for info & weed out any future dings on my CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Major downsides to applying now for info & weed out any future dings on my CR

There is nothing more I want right now than to buy a house. However, I know I am not yet ready, score wise.

I have read of others applying just to see how far off they really are, and because once you have a mortgage inquiry, you may end up with some unwanted items on your report.

What is the downside of doing this, other than the inquiry?

I have a repo from 07 and that is my main concern.  I want to see what the likelihood of it having to be paid is. 

My current scores are around 600, and I know that I meet all other qualifications. So I am hoping by the first part of the year, I will be good to go.  But if I have to pay off the repo, it would mess up my timeline.

Any ideas/comments?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gagum129
Regular Contributor

Re: Major downsides to applying now for info & weed out any future dings on my CR

From what I have read usually any collections usually have to be paid prior to closing. In some situations you can get by without having to pay medical collections but I think that is about it.

Starting Score: 582
Current Score:
Equifax 684 MyFico 10/10/11
Transunion 659 lender pull 7/6/11
Experian 690 lender pull 7/6/11

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Major downsides to applying now for info & weed out any future dings on my CR

Ugh. That is not what I was hoping.  It's like $9k Smiley Sad

Maybe they will settle for a small percentage!

Message 3 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Get an approval with a recent unattended negative would seem difficult.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

But that is my question...what is considered recent? It will be over 5 years.  With perfect credit in last 4 years. Still no dice?

Message 5 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

But that is my question...what is considered recent? It will be over 5 years.  With perfect credit in last 4 years. Still no dice?

Bump.

My initial reaction was that you would have to pay it.  I would think a lender would be troubled by a large unpaid obligation.  But then, if you can get another house after you are foreclosed on after three years of on-time payments with FHA, why not a house after an auto repo?  I can imagine there migth be different rules for foreclosures and other unpaid debt, but I don't know.  Hopefully one of the mortgage gurus will chime in.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 6 of 14
GregB
Valued Contributor

You do realize that as soon as you have the house the bank you owe $9K will take you to court, get a judgement plus attorney and court costs, and put a lien on the house, right?

Message 7 of 14
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I think Greg hit the nail on the head - an underwriter will think the same thing and will be leary of this could-be-judgment.  I think what you can do is settle with the car company and get it taken care of once and for all.  Then you can move on w/o worrying about the past.  Good Luck.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though it would be outside SOL? Or maybe I just don't quite understand SOL. I thought SOL would be up 4 years after ther date they sold the car at auction. And after that if they took me to court, I could use SOL as my defense.

Message 9 of 14
mocha82
Regular Contributor

@GregB wrote:

You do realize that as soon as you have the house the bank you owe $9K will take you to court, get a judgement plus attorney and court costs, and put a lien on the house, right?

+1

Closed on my 1st home on: 11/30/2011
First Guaranty Mortgage Corporation (FGMC)
Starting Score:Equifax: 490 (01/14/2011)Transunion: 498 (01/14/2011)
Current Score: Equifax: 609(07/09/2012) Transunion: 644 (10/14/2011) Experian: 593 Lender Pull (08/22/2011)

Goal Score: 700

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.