Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Big Purchases Day of Closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making Big Purchases Day of Closing

We are set to close at 9am Friday morning. We have refrained from purchasing any new furniture for the home until after we close. Once all the papers are signed at closing,  are we clear to go purchase whatever we want? Most of all purchases are cash but I was planning to get a TV on a Best Buy card. We just wanted to make sure we are in the clear the day of closing after papers are signed. I've read that some people said wait till the loan is funded.  

5 REPLIES 5
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Making Big Purchases Day of Closing

Congrats on the home purchase. I say wait until the loan has funded. Here in CA, I'd tell you to go a step further and wait for docs to be recorded and you're handed keys.

Plus with labor day around the corner you might be able to get some better deals.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed on a home in South Carolina on August 4th and bought a brand new F250 the same day.  But closing and funding were done at the same time so i knew there would be no issues. Congrats on the new home!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

We are set to close at 9am Friday morning. We have refrained from purchasing any new furniture for the home until after we close. Once all the papers are signed at closing,  are we clear to go purchase whatever we want? Most of all purchases are cash but I was planning to get a TV on a Best Buy card. We just wanted to make sure we are in the clear the day of closing after papers are signed. I've read that some people said wait till the loan is funded.  

As long as you have the keys in hand, you should be good to go.  Congrats on your new home.

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Wait until you are closed, funded and have keys in hand.

If you are in one of the table funding states, you close and get funded the same day (usually). 

If you are in one of the 9 escrow type closing states then you get funded a couple of days after signing the closing docs.  Don't risk it by going out to buy anything until your loan has funded, your documents have been recorded and you have keys in hand. The states that close in this manner are generally in the western US. Here are the states that have that two-step closing process: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington.

Message 5 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

once you fund... you are good to go

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.