Did you mean: 

Marriage and Property question

tag
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriage and Property question

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

First things first, IMO.

• Keep working on your credit. You will want to have 2-3 clean open revolving accounts that are at least six months old. (This will help your scores, too.) Pull all three full credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and make sure that you and your husband have absolutely NO open joint credit.
  • Congrats on the job! Keep that steady income history going. Mortgage lenders, even for very inexpensive homes, are going to want to see that you have stable employment. Child and spousal support can suddenly vanish, even when the ex has good intentions. (Think job loss, medical crisis, etc.)
  • Build up savings. Home ownership is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to unexpected expenses.
  • And at a minimum, get that legal separation document established; preferably, get your divorce final. You don't necessarily have to have a lawyer. DXH and I used a mediator, because we weren't arguing about terms, and the mediator drew up the p/w and went to court with me. Check out Nolo's Essential Guide to Divorce, a good guide to help you be aware of all the little surprises that can happen with a divorce.

Owning a home is exciting and can be very fulfilling, but it's also a huge responsibility. Save it for a reward once you're independent and established on your own two feet.

If you haven't already, read through many of the stickies at the top of this board, so that you'll know what to work on to qualify for a mortgage.

Best wishes!

Thanks alot for the advice I would really like to use a mediator, I think it would be alot less expensive than a lawyer. I think my EX and I can agree on things, if not, I will just opt for the laywer. So far everything is good, I would like it to stay like it is now, so if we can agree on that then we shouldn't have any problems.

I have saved as much as I could over the past 10 months, and will continue to save.

Yes I think I will have only 2 issues with a lender thats the length of my credit history and any gaps in employment if I can't get a shift or 2 at my old job.

The only lates I have are with medical and school loans, and the last loan officer I used said they dont count school loans or mdeical bills, I hope that is still true with them.  But I am still gonna try to get them remove just in case.

I have not read any of the stickies, because I just joined the mortgage board, Im usually on the rebuilding credit posts, but I will make sure to read them all.

I know a house is a big responsibility but I am ready for it, I have helped my lil sis with her house and I am staying with her now, while I pay off everything in my reports, and yes stuff comes up all the time. Normally I have to help get it taken care of, because I am here in the daytime, she works at a hospital, so very long shifts. I am truly excited for it.

Thanks for everything!

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.