cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married: Can I order just one mortgage score for now?

tag
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

Married: Can I order just one mortgage score for now?

Disclaimer: I'm trying to take the cheap way out, for right now.

My husband and I live in Texas, which is a community property state, and are looking to buy a house in the next 8-12 months. My credit scores (all of them) are well below his -- I'm talking 80-100 points difference -- there's no question that mine is the lower of the two across all scores. Therefore, can I get away with (for now) just pulling my own mortgage scores to begin thinking about where we're landing? What I don't want to do is pull both mine and his right now if they're not even going to look at his score for the purposes of qualification. I know they'll look at both of our debt, income, etc but I don't need a 3B report to know where we lie there.

When we get closer to pulling the trigger, I'll order both for a sanity check... I just want a glimpse of the score I'm working with right now. I know all the rest of the nitty gritty details of both reports.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Married: Can I order just one mortgage score for now?

If you know yours is lower I would pull all 3 of your reports through MyFico to get a starting point on scores and get a clear plan of what needs to be done to get your score up (having collections removed, ensure accurate reporting, paying off balances, etc).

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Married: Can I order just one mortgage score for now?

Get your scores now and start correcting everything you can. If you need a major rebuild, it can take months or even years to complete.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.