cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Me and DW are seperated, she doesnt want to be on the loan..Any help?

tag
nickdymez
Valued Member

Me and DW are seperated, she doesnt want to be on the loan..Any help?

I am currently trying to get approved for a va loan, however my wife's (we are seperated right now) score is far lower than mine. I live in a community property state so the broker said it is most likely she will have to be considerd. Is there anything i can do to not have her considered on the loan?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Me and DW are seperated, she doesnt want to be on the loan..Any help?

I am not sure how it works in your state but do you have a legal separation agreement that states you can purchase this property without her?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 6
nickdymez
Valued Member

No we dont, i will look into that. Thanks for the advise, i realy appriciate it. Its kinda frustrating
Message 3 of 6
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Definitely google divorce laws for your state.  There are so many useful resources out there!  When my ex and I separated we did our entire 13 page separation agreement on our own.  There are samples out there for just about every situation.  Once I had it all typed up we had an attorney review it for legal verbage only.  We had included in it that we could both purchase real property as if we were single.  When we refinanced his loan that was given to the mortgage company and they didn't question it.  Since it was a refi, I just signed the Quitclaim deed at closing to remove myself from the property.  Good luck!  Also, if you can't get a separation agreement completed, call your LO and ask what else can be provided in lieu of that. 

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 6
happy0510
Established Contributor

Re: Me and DW are separated, she doesn't want to be on the loan..Any help?

In my state (CA) you absolutely have to include her debts on the loan.  In addition she would have to sign a quit claim deed on the house.  Her credit score will not matter.  Only her debts added to you DTI. 

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
nickdymez
Valued Member

Re: Me and DW are separated, she doesn't want to be on the loan..Any help?

So i wonder if they will use her assets then.. I think this law is bs. If we are separated and she doesnt want anything to do with the house, then that should be that..
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.