Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Min. amount to have in savings when trying to buy a home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Min. amount to have in savings when trying to buy a home

What is a good amount to have in savings and how long before applying for a mortgage?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Min. amount to have in savings when trying to buy a home

FHA doesn't require reserves. If you have the 3.5% down and closing costs that the seller doesn't pay... you have enough for the loan.

Now, flimsy files might need more cash reserves to get approval thru automated underwriting....

I would recommend a minimum of 6 months mortgage payments in reserves.... but I know that is hard for a lot of people.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is hard.  One more question. Do you know when a foreclosure is considered final.  Is it when it is sol at the county courthouse to a mortgage company or is it when someone buy it from that mortgage company?  Im waiting on the underwriter to decide because the foreclosure deed I got from my locate courthouse has the date as Nov. 15, 2006 and we just found out that the mortgage was included in a bk that discharged Nov. 2007 after the fc.  Don't understand why the foreclosure was included we just did what the attorney suggested.

Can you clarify for me.  My husband's fico is 688 and mine is 609.  I just pd a credit card down to $50 and is hoping that the new score will be at least 620.  I don't have anymore credit cards.  I have an installment loan at a credit union.  No care notes just rent. 

Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i am not a foreclosure expert

these things drag out sometimes.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.