cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Credit Score changing in June?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Minimum Credit Score changing in June?

I concur with Shane in that 720 may be the minimum for best rates. I just talked to a mortgage consultant this morning, and he confirmed that in order to have the best rates, I need to have CS higher than 720. You may still be able to get a loan with CS between 620 and 719, but your rates will be higher.
Message 11 of 18
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

jsk, I don't disagree that in order to get the best rates, you will need higher scores. The new 680 is 720, etc. I do disagree that in order to get a loan, you will need a 720, which is the bunk that OP's realtor told them.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

ByrdMan wrote:
jsk, I don't disagree that in order to get the best rates, you will need higher scores. The new 680 is 720, etc. I do disagree that in order to get a loan, you will need a 720, which is the bunk that OP's realtor told them.

I listened to her voice mail again and she did say that I needed a 720 to get ANY mortgage.  I agree that I think she's trying to get me to buy sooner rather than later for her own reasons ...

I have been in contact with my bank since then and they confirmed that for the BEST RATES, I need a 720 but my scores are fine for me to qualify. 

Realtor just scared me when she said that... I thought maybe she had some secret inside info ... nope, just trying to get me to buy sooner .... Smiley Mad
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fannie Mae is raising the Limits to 720 for the best rates.  If you are between 680 and 719 you are going to take a 1/2 point hit.  I am a post about this because i think it is silly to punish the ones that are over 700.  But oh well they need to get their money somehow.  I think your realtor was mistaken or you just misunderstood what she was saying.

S
Message 14 of 18
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I listened to her voice mail again and she did say that I needed a 720 to get ANY mortgage. I agree that I think she's trying to get me to buy sooner rather than later for her own reasons ...
I have been in contact with my bank since then and they confirmed that for the BEST RATES, I need a 720 but my scores are fine for me to qualify.
Realtor just scared me when she said that... I thought maybe she had some secret inside info ... nope, just trying to get me to buy sooner .... Smiley Mad

ct99, if I were in your shoes, I would consider working with another agent. The homebuying process is stressful enough as it is, and you seem to have an agent who is more interested in closing a deal than in looking after your best interests.

My brother-in-law and his wife had an unfortunate experience with an unscrupulous agent when they bought their condo 1.5 years ago. They found a place that had been sitting on the market for 4 months, and had its price reduced from $430,000 to $399,999, without any takers. My brother-in-law wanted to offer $375,000, but somehow the agent convinced him that it was suddenly a hot property and would sell almost immediately for the asking price. They offered $398,000, and not surprisingly, they got it. After the papers were signed, their agent suddenly became difficult to reach. When a couple flaws came up in the inspection, the agent strongly downplayed the significance (I guess water seepage into the storage area is not a big deal after all), and pushed them to close the deal. It didn't help that my brother-in-law is nonconfrontational in nature, but clearly his real estate agent had no real regard for the welfare of her clients.
Message 15 of 18
pattycake
Established Contributor

Why is the realtor saying that? Realtors show houses and work with you on the process, but an ethical one will tell you to talk with your bank/broker/lender for specifics and not make stuff up.

I went with a CU and got the lowest rate they offered with my scores. At the time the national average was about 6.0%, I got 5.75%. Not once did my realtor try to tell me what she didn't know. She was sure to tell me to talk with my lender if I had loan-related questions.

Get prequalified if you are very serious right now, and work with the mortgage officer and processor to get details. Good luck!!!!
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure, but I'm closing an FHA at the end of the month for 6 3/8%

Not great but it gets me closer to prime and out from under the sub-prime 10.99% I've got now.

The new FHA guidelines go down to a 560, although I'm pushing the $300K limit on the loan
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone wanting the specifics on the June 1 changes, see the link below.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.