Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum payment to calculate DTI?

tag
joshall
Contributor

Minimum payment to calculate DTI?

I was wondering during calculation of back end DTI, how will lender determine the mininum payment for all credit cards, auto loan and other debts?

Do they look at the credit report showing mininum payment for each credit card and loan?

Is that even accurate?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Minimum payment to calculate DTI?

@joshall wrote:

I was wondering during calculation of back end DTI, how will lender determine the mininum payment for all credit cards, auto loan and other debts?

Do they look at the credit report showing mininum payment for each credit card and loan?

Is that even accurate?

Thanks!

^^^Yes, they calculate using the min payment due shown on your credit report.  That amount is reported by the lenders so yes, that is accurate. 

Message 2 of 8
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

I'd like to verify something as long as this came up.  If I have 15 credit card accounts with $0 balances, no minimum payments on those are used, or are they?

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dropped off credit summary with a few lenders last month and based on what I can figure the cards that have zero or negative balance don't hurt you. However, even $15 balance will show as a $15 monthly payment.
Message 4 of 8
joshall
Contributor

I have a few credit cards that offers 0% APR until December this year.  I have balances on them, but the minimum payment is shown as $0 on my 3B report - though my mininum payment is really around $50 for all of them. 

Is this normal? 

Will lender see $0 instead?

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@joshall wrote:

I have a few credit cards that offers 0% APR until December this year.  I have balances on them, but the minimum payment is shown as $0 on my 3B report - though my mininum payment is really around $50 for all of them. 

Is this normal? 

Will lender see $0 instead?

My guess is they will probably impute some payment for DTI purposes.  But they may not, credit card payments likely shouldn't make or break one's DTI calculation these days.

        
Message 6 of 8
joshall
Contributor

That's interesting, Revelate!

Unfortunately, it is going to screw up my back end DTI in my case!  My lender is strictly staying at 45% (for me at $4,000/ month), so I am just about $300 more than 45% (ie. at 49%, for one auto loan and credit card bills).  What do you think?

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@joshall wrote:

That's interesting, Revelate!

Unfortunately, it is going to screw up my back end DTI in my case!  My lender is strictly staying at 45% (for me at $4,000/ month), so I am just about $300 more than 45% (ie. at 49%, for one auto loan and credit card bills).  What do you think?

Roll the dice with the lender, otherwise start paying stuff off to clear DTI; snowball method on the CC's in this case unless you can kick the auto loan to the curb.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.