Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Morgage Interest & deduction

tag
life101
Valued Member

Morgage Interest & deduction

I heard some very bad news yesterday, I head that they are talking about taking away the mortgage interest deduction. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Morgage Interest & deduction

@life101 wrote:

I heard some very bad news yesterday, I head that they are talking about taking away the mortgage interest deduction. Any thoughts?

I don't think that will ever happen but I've been wrong many times before. I haven't seen any numbers about how much extra money this tactic might mean for increased tax revenues.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is one of the suggestions that the debt commission made, but only one of them.  The chances for this are almsot nil becuase it says 2 things...Get rid of ALL deductions, and reform the tax tiers based on zero deductions.  This will never even make it to the floor because it would be political suicide for both parties.   Dems would loose support because all of the middle class depedn on that deduction and do not trust the gov't enough to lower the tax rate to equal out the difference.  The repubs would get killed by all of the rich and the corporations who need their tax loopholes because even though they make alot of $, they pay much less % in taxes due to the different loopholes and the different ways they make money (dividends, etc) verses standard w2 employment.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That is one of the suggestions that the debt commission made, but only one of them.  The chances for this are almsot nil becuase it says 2 things...Get rid of ALL deductions, and reform the tax tiers based on zero deductions.  This will never even make it to the floor because it would be political suicide for both parties.   Dems would loose support because all of the middle class depedn on that deduction and do not trust the gov't enough to lower the tax rate to equal out the difference.  The repubs would get killed by all of the rich and the corporations who need their tax loopholes because even though they make alot of $, they pay much less % in taxes due to the different loopholes and the different ways they make money (dividends, etc) verses standard w2 employment.

OMG! That is hilarious! What a mental picture you have planted in my head! Love it!

When I heard about the proposal to drop the interest deduction, my first thought was "Not Gonna Happen." Your explanation is excellent, and I don't think I could have said it any better.

Thanks for the laugh on this cold Monday morning, Mickey. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be here all week.....LOL

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.