cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Advice Needed!

tag
robase123

Mortgage Advice Needed!

Hi all. I'm in a situation where my ex-wife is occupying a home that she has no intention of buying,( I think ). The mortgage company has given us until the 22nd of this month to come up with $4,000 to bring the mortgage current or face forclosure. The court system has not forced the sale of the property at this point. I know if the home goes into forclosure my credit will tank for years. I want to know should I borrow the $4,000 to catch the payments up even though i don't live in the home or wait it out and see if my ex pays a the last minute. Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage Advice Needed!

Sticking your head in the sand is not (IMO) the way to handle this issue. Talk with your EX and figure out what her plans are.  I know this is not likely to be a fun experience, but you need to know what she is planning. You also need to be sure you two are on the same page with this. A foreclosure will badly hurt your credit (as will the lates that I assume are piling up?). 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 6
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

I would also see about getting your name off the mortgage.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 3 of 6
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@WannaHouse wrote:
I would also see about getting your name off the mortgage.
Certainly a good thing to try. However, my understanding is that this is VERY difficult to do without a refinance of the loan.

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 4 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

It would really depend on how late the mortgage is - a 120 day late is the same as a foreclosure in the eyes of mortgage lenders - speaking just from the possibility of getting a home in the future you may want to see where it is and if it is past 120 days it may be too late and not worth putting your money in as your credit has already been hurt...

Just my 2 cents

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If he wants to buy a house himself in the next few years it could make a big difference whether or not it is an official foreclosure.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.