cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage App - Need to get a 673 to a 680 and Quick!

tag
Bentwater

Mortgage App - Need to get a 673 to a 680 and Quick!

I have spent several years rebuilding my credit and are currently applying for a construction loan.  My current scores as pulled by my lender are

EXN - 720

TU - 673 (myfico.com was 668)

EFX - 658 (this matched myfico.com)

I have to get my middle score to 680 somehow!  The key open accounts on my credit report are a mortgage, one car loan, and five credit cards with balances as follows:

Card #1 balance $612, credit limit $2,500

Card #2 balance $198, credit limit $1,300

Card #3 balance $49, cedit limit $8,400

Card #4 balance $64, credit limit $2,000

Card #5 balance $0, credit limit $1,600

From what I understand, paying and settling three of these credit cards accounts to $0 and leaving 1-9% on the other two will give me the most optimal score.  Card #2 and #4 should do that by Tuesday.

Do any of you have any guidence as to whether or not this will give me the 7 points I need?  It should also be noted that the inquiry I received from this pull today may pull my score down 3 more points that I have to overcome as well.

On a side note, if it matters, the two primary things holding my score down are a 90 day late payment 2+ years ago and one chargeoff with a $0 balance.  I do have several 30 and 60 day late payments as well from 2-4 years ago, but I think there impact is minimal compared to the 90 day and the charge.  Any guidence will be much appreciated and I will keep the forum posted of the progress.  Thus far, the myfico community has been very helpful.  There is a lot of info on here!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bspitt
Valued Member

Re: Mortgage App - Need to get a 673 to a 680 and Quick!

Right now you are sitting at about a 6% util. I would see if triming that down to 3% helps out any. Also, when I consolidated that utilization all on to one card (the one with the largest limit) it seemed to help rather than having it spread over several cards. In addition to that I would also try to goodwill the crap out of those lates, especially the 60 and 90 day varieties. Just one of those deletions might be enough to push you over the top. Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
Bentwater

Re: Mortgage App - Need to get a 673 to a 680 and Quick!

I have tried several goodwill letters and received success from Discover card thus far.  I will try and send out another round tomorrow.  I actually heard something back from Citibank on the 90 day payment today.  I will keep my fingers crossed!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.