cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Approval?

tag
Run4Fun

Mortgage Approval?

So I've been a lurker here for the past 5 months or so...in that time I've gotten my scores from 619 to 700 (EXP) by paying off revolving credit for the most part. I've been house shopping the past few months and I just have a few questions. I know there's a lot of knowledgable people on this forum so I was hoping to get a rough estimate as to how much I would possibly be approved for?

Current income - $38000

Plus some misc income from a volunteer fire department I am on (yes, we get paid per hour on a call). It adds up to roughly $5000 a year. I think I can use this income? If so the total would be around $43000 / year.

Like I said up above I currently have a 700 Experian score, hoping that will jump up to at least 730+ once the credit card company updates their reports again. I had a card with a $3200 balance and paid it off down to $800.

My only debts are; 

One credit card with a $800 balance

One car installment with a $24500 balance. $532/mo payment. Have been thinking about refinancing...rate is currently at 10.2%. I think I could cut that in half with my current scores (I got the loan with a 639 score).

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage Approval?

Is the VFD income documented as stable income?  Such as a couple of years of tax returns or w9's?

How much down payment are you going to have?

You really need to consider doing something about the auto loan - even considering 43k is a documented amount that would put your auto expenses at 20-25% of your take home pay already.

Message 2 of 3
Run4Fun

Re: Mortgage Approval?

I would have enough to put roughly $3-4K down. I did talk to a LO the other day and she thought with my scores I would qualify for their lowest rate at 4.8% fixed, 30 years. The FD income is not documented. It's considered reimbursement for wear and tear on clothes and gas/mileage on car. I'm guessing with no actual proof of it being a stable amount of money I wouldn't be able to claim it? I also have a part-time gig doing computer repair, but again...it's just starting and have no documentation/proof of any dollar amounts yet.

And yeah, the car note is pretty high. If I did the math correctly and refi'd at 5.25% ($24500) that will make it approximately $466/mo, as opposed to $532/mo. Saves $66/mo but doesn't really make a dent in the DTI ratio...

I've ran a few "how much house can i afford" calculator and it seems the highest I would possibly be able to go or get approved for is $118,000.

Message Edited by Run4Fun on 05-22-2009 06:22 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.