Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Broker and STudent Loan

tag
ShowCredit
Frequent Contributor

Mortgage Broker and STudent Loan

I have been applying for a mortgage and have spoken to several banks and have all been approved with my student loan which is in deferral.  I was told that my student loans have to be deferred for more than 1 year, until when I spoke to the mortgage broker, he told me that the student loans have to be deferred for 3 years.  He says that even though the banks are telling me 1 year, when the loan goes to underwriting they are going to compute it, because it is not deferred for more than 3 years.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Starting Score: EQ-686 TU 703
Current Score: EQ-695 TU 713
Goal Score: EQ-800 TU 800

href="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=FC&thread.id=1">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage Broker and STudent Loan

Just needs to be deferred for 12 months from the closing date, not 3 years.  This is only for FHA & VA loans however, if you are going for a conventional or USDA loan the payment is always included no matter how long it's deferred for.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
ShowCredit
Frequent Contributor

Shane,

Thank you.  I am going FHA, that's why I was surprised when he said 3 years.  Chase has also approved me saying they have to be deferred for 1 year.

Starting Score: EQ-686 TU 703
Current Score: EQ-695 TU 713
Goal Score: EQ-800 TU 800

href="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=FC&thread.id=1">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Red22
Contributor

How can you get your student loans deferred 12 months from the closing date?

Crawling At A Snails Pace . . .
*9/01/08 FICO; EQ:524 TU:532 FAKO;EX:536
*12/07/08 FICO; EQ:548 TU: 562 FAKO;EX:565
**03/10/09 FICO;EQ: 624 TU:563 FAKO;EX:585
**09/21/10 FICO;EQ:661 TU:679EX:663(FAKO)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.