Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Closing Out of State

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Closing Out of State

Hello,

I've obtained a job in Texas. I've been unemployed for the past three years as a stay at home dad. My wife has kept the same job for 12 years and is currently making good money.

My question is this: When we apply for a mortgage in Texas, should my wife continue to work here in NJ until the closing process completes (so she can list her current job on the mortgage). I would only have a few months of employment under my belt at this time so I doubt this will hold much credibility to a lender. I know that income is a determining factor to lenders and their decisions. Also, we would be putting up to 30% down payment on a home. We both have above average credit with average debt and no liens. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage Closing Out of State

I was living out of state when my husband and I tried to buy the first time. The plan was we would buy ( we needed both salaries to qualify) then I would relocate. The lender wouldn't let us use my income. They were right. I ended up moving and was unemployed for a year.  IMO you are going to have to wait until she has a new job as well. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.