Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Credit Scores issue

tag
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

Mortgage Credit Scores issue

Today I went in to do my full loan application. When I got there, I found that my mid score had dropped 20points all because of a increase in balance of 1 of my 2 credit cards has a credit limit of 300 & I have a balance of 240... I'm going to pay that credit card down to a $10 balance today. We didn't do the full loan app today because they want to find out if they can re-run my credit next month when that balance decrease I should get the score bump back to where it originally was when I did my pre approval which was 690, right now it's a 665..Can they use that new score so I can save money on my loan...Pmi & LLPA..Or will they have to use the score they orginally got today which was the 666. What are my options? The lady who handles that will be out the office till Tuesday so we have to wait till then..I'm going conventional so I want the highest score possible...
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage Credit Scores issue

No, if they rerun your credit they will use the new score to qualify you. If that is the only thing holding you up, your lender can do a rapid rescore using the new credit card balance without having to wait for the reports to update.

Your lender should be able to give you more specific details of their rescore process.

Good luck!!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 9
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

OK cool. How do they do the rapid rescore? & how do they get the scores without waiting for the new reports ?
Message 3 of 9
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

Just curious but how does it work? Will it drop my scores with them getting re-running it twice within 1 week
Message 4 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@neptunejcw wrote:
Just curious but how does it work? Will it drop my scores with them getting re-running it twice within 1 week

No, mortage inquiries are excluded from scoring for a 30 day period anyway, and are rolled up to a single scoreable inquiry depending on model in 14-45 days.

In short if you get it done in one week, ain't no biggie.  If your process gets extended like mine, my mid score dropped 6 points (728 to 722) on EX as my inquiry free report got dinged as I had to repull for a different loan product 34ish days after the original one.  Oh well didn't drop me a tier Smiley Happy

Rapid rescore: mortgage lenders can ask your creditors to do mid-cycle reports on your tradelines and then will pull your credit again afterwards.  Rather than waiting the 30ish days they can get it done much faster typically for a nominal fee.

        
Message 5 of 9
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

How much should I pay my credit cards down to get the maximum score bump I can get. 1 card has 1000limit as of today it has a $40 balance & the other has a $300 limit with a balance of $40. The lender will be rerunning my scores on the 27th of this month. I just want to know should I pay the balances down lower than what they are now?
Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@neptunejcw wrote:
How much should I pay my credit cards down to get the maximum score bump I can get. 1 card has 1000limit as of today it has a $40 balance & the other has a $300 limit with a balance of $40. The lender will be rerunning my scores on the 27th of this month. I just want to know should I pay the balances down lower than what they are now?

If either of your statements close between now and then, pay that one off.  Leave the balance on the other.  $40/1000 is possibly better than the $40/300 though so if you get a chance to pay both, just zero out the $40/300 card.

        
Message 7 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

new scores will be used for pricing..... do it all the time

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 9
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

OK well hopefully everything goes smooth. I paid down my 240 of my 300 credit limit to a zero balance & the other 1000credit limit to a $40 balance. Hopefully I get that score bump I need to get my LLPA down & my score back above 685
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.