Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Help

tag
meljeff1
Contributor

Mortgage Help

I need help! I applied for a fha loan and was told my scores were 642, 645. 655..... Only issue is that I was wanting to go FHA and because my student loan payment will be due in Nov their  telling me I would only be approved for like 80-90k. I need at least 120 k. However I was then told I could do a conventional loan 150k if I had 3.5 % percent down payment which I don't!!!! So I've requested a income based repayment plan for my student loans to see how much my student loans will be hopefully that will help! My current student loan pmt would be 950 a month but hopefully it will be way less with this repayment plan.

i really want to go fha because of the help with the down payment. I'm just not sure how I can make this work. I make 49k a year if that helps.

Will I get the same result anywhere I go????

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage Help

doesnt make sense why you could get more conventional.

3.5% down conventional?  they have 3% down and 5% down

fha is 3.5% down

confused

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
meljeff1
Contributor

Maybe he said 3% percent. Now that I think about it I'm sure he said that. I don't get it either but I don't want to apply somewhere else and risk a drop in my score for them to tell me the same thing.

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Sounds like a DTI issue. Is this your first home? Do you qualify for one of the first time homebuyer programs in your area (city, county or state)? Google for down payment assistance in your area to see if you qualify from an income standpoint. Most of the programs are income based on the numer of household members. There may also be other requirements to qualify fo rthe program.

If you make too much money for your local program, then you will need to find the funds for a down payment:  gift funds or even a 401k type disbursement (if you have a 401k). 

There are two ways to fix a DTI issue:  increase income or reduce debt payments. There are two componets to reducing debt - find a less expensive property with less expensive real estate taxes and/or insurance; and reduce your current debt payments. You are already working on reducing your student loan payments. Do you have something else that is impacting your total debt ratio (a/k/a - back end ratio)? Typically a vehicle payment has a huge impact on limiting the amount of mortgage you can carry. Do you have a vehicle payment?

Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@meljeff1 wrote:

Maybe he said 3% percent. Now that I think about it I'm sure he said that. I don't get it either but I don't want to apply somewhere else and risk a drop in my score for them to tell me the same thing.

a new credit pull within 30  days will not drop the score.

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/CreditChecks/Inquiries.aspx

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.