Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Loan Commitment?!?

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Mortgage Loan Commitment?!?

I received a pre-approval from my broker...then the loan processor from his company sent me a Mortgage Loan Commitment and asked me to sign it.  What exactly does this mean?!?! They are commited to finding me a loan or I am commited to allowing them to find a lender?? I guess I am confused about what pre-approval really is....since I am working with a broker, what if I can't make a deal with the builder? No commitment right??

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage Loan Commitment?!?

It could mean different things.  If it's from a lender then it could mean they are committing to give you a loan as long as you provide them the documentation they ask for, or it may mean that all paperwork they need has been received & reviewed and they are ready to fund the loan.  If it's from a mortgage broker then it usually just means they are committed to finding you a loan.  The term can be a bit misleading, so I'd definitely ask for clarification on what that document means to them.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 10
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Mortgage commitment these days doesnt seem to mean much.
Message 3 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

A true loan commitment is a document from a LENDER, not a broker, that commits to fund the loan and some conditions are usually listed. If that's not what your broker gave to youm then you do not have a MORTGAGE LOAN FUNDING COMMITMENT.

Message 4 of 10
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys. It says mortgage loan commitment and lists all of the conditions that need to be met; some are mine, some the lender, some the broker.....but, I haven't made an offer to the builder yet. So, I guess they are commiting to finding funding for my loan IF the builder and I come to an agreement? 

Message 5 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

So, I guess they are commiting to finding funding for my loan IF the builder and I come to an agreement? 

Correct.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

Thanks guys. It says mortgage loan commitment and lists all of the conditions that need to be met; some are mine, some the lender, some the broker.....but, I haven't made an offer to the builder yet. So, I guess they are commiting to finding funding for my loan IF the builder and I come to an agreement? 

Also, I have never seen a lender commit to fund a mortgage without knowing the specific property upfront. Anything short of a true commitment to fund the loan is a pre-approval, pre-qual, etc.

Another way to think about the value of the document you have is whether or not you had submitted all of your financial documents to the underwriter. If you did not, you've got a preapproval that they are calling by some other name.

Message 7 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

^^^ True.  And if you didn't have a specific property on which you submitted your application, I bet your conditions include some very broad things like: Suject to satisfactory appraisal. Read your "Loan Commitment" and check for overly broad statements.

It is good you have gone all the way through u/w so now the next time you have to go through u/w with the specific property it ought to be easier for you. Especially if it is a new build.

Message 8 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I sell new contrustion for a national builder. Once my assigned loan officer issues a pre-qual, I'm writing a purchase agreement. There is verbiage in the agreement that required the buyer to act in good faith and to submit all required documentation promptly, etc etc. The status of each buyers mortgage app is checked three times per week. If it looks questionable at any point, the process is suspended before we spend money to engineer the home. There really isn't much risk for us because sometimes we may want a few inventory homes so we use the buyer's deal to justify getting them started.

If buying a resale, that is a whole other ballgame.

Message 9 of 10
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Ok, now I understand. I haven't COMMITED to anything yet....its with a brokerage, so they commited to find me funding. Got it. 

Thankfully I joined this forum! Sad news though, I spoke with the realtor and builders agent via telephone yesterday and I was not pleased with their presentation.....they weren't prepared and couldn't answer questions about modifications to the floorplans (I want a jack n jill bathroom for son's room and play room)...they pushed back about a basement, and tried to push me to look at a ranch (i have told them over and over that i was not interested in a ranch).  Was that just the first contact/try to sell what they have conversation?!?!

I got off the phone disappointed...AND the homes are 30k more than they were 6 months ago. I guess I am going to have to get tough with them next week and if they can't give me what I want for what I can afford, I move on. That is that.  I just didn't want to continue to rent......and the location is absolutely perfect for me and my son.  Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.