Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Loan after Bankruptcy

tag
BSBRose21
Contributor

Mortgage Loan after Bankruptcy

My fiance went through bankruptcy in 2012. Discharge date 11/12. 

His credit score is around 650 on all credit bureaus.  Mine is around 700.

He did not include our home loan in the bankruptcy and have never been late.

Is there any way to get a loan before the two year waiting period?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Chetchelios
New Visitor

Re: Mortgage Loan after Bankruptcy

AFAIK FHA will do it one year post discharge, but only with extenuating circumstances.  And approval is very rare.

Message 2 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@BSBRose21 wrote:

Are you asking about being approved for another mortgage in addition to the one on your current home?

What is the source of those credit scores?

There is a lot more information needed to answer your question. Things like income, employment, debt amount, assets, etc.

There is onley one govern mortgage program that I am aware of that allows for new mortgage application and that is the FHA's Back To Work program. Quaifying is tricky/difficult and approvals more so. There are also portfolio loan programs too but the at hgh rate and usually an ARM product with minimum 20% down.

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@BSBRose21 wrote:

What type of bankruptcy did your finance file - Ch 7 or Ch 13?

He had to include the home in his bankruptcy regardless. He might have elected to retain the home and continue payments, but the way to know for sure is to pull his entire BK petition from PACER to find out.

The new loan is for a purchase of another home or a refinance of the existing home?  It depends upon the type of mortgage you and your fiance are looking for in the new home; conventional, or FHA.

He can get a new mortgage 4 years from his discharge date if he had filed a Ch 7, 2 years for extenuating circumstances if the new loan is conventional. If he filed a Ch 13, then it is 2 years from discharge. If the Ch 13 was dismissed and not discharged then it i 4 years.

If you are looking for a new FHA loan than it is 2 years from discharge with re-established credit for a BK Ch 7. If your finance can show extenuating circumstances than it can be less than 2 years, but not less than 12 months for a Ch 7.

For a new FHA loan with a Ch 13 filing he can get a new loan during the chapter 13 after 12 months of payments and trustee permission.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.