cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Loan and Bank request

tag
cbarnette

Mortgage Loan and Bank request

I recently applied for a mortgage loan and the bank stated my credit score qualified me for the loan. However, my debt to income ratio is @ 53% and they need it down to 45%. They requested for me to pay off certain balances. Ok, I can do that. But they also requested for me to close those accounts as well. My problem is that one of the accounts has a 7,600 limit and I only owe $115 on it and I'm concerned that closing it will cause my credit score to drop because that $7,600 will be gone from the total limit amount of the formula. Another account has a $2,500 limit. That's $10,000 gone from the calculation. Should I go ahead and close them as requested? I would hate for my credit score to get hit my this action and then for them to come back and say sorry your credit score is too low.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mortgage Loan and Bank request

@cbarnette wrote:

@I recently applied for a mortgage loan and the bank stated my credit score qualified me for the loan. However, my debt to income ratio is @ 53% and they need it down to 45%. They requested for me to pay off certain balances. Ok, I can do that. But they also requested for me to close those accounts as well. My problem is that one of the accounts has a 7,600 limit and I only owe $115 on it and I'm concerned that closing it will cause my credit score to drop because that $7,600 will be gone from the total limit amount of the formula. Another account has a $2,500 limit. That's $10,000 gone from the calculation. Should I go ahead and close them as requested? I would hate for my credit score to get hit my this action and then for them to come back and say sorry your credit score is too low.

Hello and welcome.

Here is an excellent thread talking about the possible effects of closing credit cards.

Closing Credit Cards

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

What is their rationale for closing your credit card accounts?  Do they claim that it will improve your score?  The closing of that account with the $115 balance isn't going to make much of a dent in your DTI.

Message 3 of 8
cbarnette

They want me to close the accounts to ensure they aren't used again. Because my score isn't the problem in regards to getting the loan, it's my DTI. I read the closing credit cards forum and it was a little confusing because in one part it says , "Closed CC accounts (in good standing) with balances do factor in utilizations percentage calculations whereas closed CC accounts with $0 balances do not." but in the earlier example, it shows a credit card being closed and paid off but the utilization ratio got worse. If I close the five accounts and pay off the balance, isn't it still going to affect by DTI and potentially cause my score to drop. The total balances on the five cards are only 1,700 but the total limits are $14,700. My thinking is that $14,700 is a high enough amount to have an adverse affect. I don't have a problem paying off the accounts but I don't want to close them if they will hurt me.

Message 4 of 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@cbarnette wrote:

They want me to close the accounts to ensure they aren't used again. Because my score isn't the problem in regards to getting the loan, it's my DTI. I read the closing credit cards forum and it was a little confusing because in one part it says , "Closed CC accounts (in good standing) with balances do factor in utilizations percentage calculations whereas closed CC accounts with $0 balances do not." but in the earlier example, it shows a credit card being closed and paid off but the utilization ratio got worse. If I close the five accounts and pay off the balance, isn't it still going to affect by DTI and potentially cause my score to drop. The total balances on the five cards are only 1,700 but the total limits are $14,700. My thinking is that $14,700 is a high enough amount to have an adverse affect. I don't have a problem paying off the accounts but I don't want to close them if they will hurt me.

Yes, this can be a little confusing.  Here's the way it works.

It is possible to close a credit card account with a balance still on it.  In fact, this is something that a lot of consumers are doing when they get notice of an increase in their APR - they "opt out" of the APR increase, which requires them to close the account.  However, if there is still a balance owed, even if the account is closed, the original credit limit and balance will still be used in the calculation of utilization.

If the above weren't true, then there would be a loophole by which someone could suddenly decrease their utilization.  Let's say that I have two credit cards, one with a CL of $8000 and one with a CL of $2000.  Let's also say that the $8000 CL card is maxed out and the $2000 CL card has a zero balance.  My utilization is 80%.  If I were to close the maxed-out card and if it were completely removed from the calculation of utilization, then my utilization would instantaneously go to 0%.  This clearly doesn't reflect reality, and the FICO formula takes this into account.  In this case, this is a closed account WITH a balance, and so it factors into utilization.

On the other hand, if the closed CC has a zero balance, then there's no justification for the former CL to be included in utilization, because that CL isn't being used at all and is no longer available to the consumer.  So, closed accounts with zero balances are not included in the utilization calculation.  In the example given in the Closing Credit Cards thread, the account is closed AND paid off - it is left with a zero balance - so this latter scenario applies.

I think you're confusing DTI and utilization.  Utilization is a calculation of your total CC balances divided by your total available credit limits.  Your DTI ratio, on the other hand, is a calculation of your monthly payments to your credit accounts (minimum CC payments, student loans, auto loans, personal loans, mortgages) divided by your monthly gross income.  So whereas closing down and paying off several CC accounts could hurt your utilization calculation (the denominator [CL] in this calculation is smaller), this action will actually lower your DTI ratio, since you would no longer have any monthly payments due for your closed and paid-off credit cards.

DTI is not factored into your FICO score at all.  The FICO score does not include any information about one's income.  But DTI is still important for mortgage qualifying, because if someone's DTI is too high, then the underwriter might conclude that the borrower is at increased risk for default due to excessive credit obligations.  But utilization is important, too, because it can affect one's FICO score.

If you close down these accounts, what would your utilization go to?

Message 5 of 8
cbarnette

Thank you very much for your input. I understand DTI vs utilization so I understand that paying off the accounts will lower my DTI and that DTI isn't factored in my credit score. My concern is that changes to help one will negatively affect the other. According to my FICO report from 5/5/10 - my ratio of revolving balances to credit limits is 52%. I don't know what my utilization will go to. I guess I will need to do that calculation. I was hoping to find that out here but the simulator here didn't have a closing credit card scenario. But if I'm understanding this correctly, closing these accounts will make my utililzation ratio increase because these amounts will no longer be included in the denominator. While paying off the accounts will help my DTI and will put below the percentage the bank wants for the mortgage, closing the accounts will make my utilization go up and potentially drop my credit score. On a side note, they already sent the pre-approval letter to my realtor but of course final approval is based on a) be paying off the accounts to drop my DTI and b) no other major changes occur with my credit. Well, my credit score dropping would be a major change especially if it drops below their minimum which is 660 (it's currently 684). I would hate for me to do what they ask for them to turn around and say sorry we can't help because my credit score took a hit because I did what they told me. Of course, they reassured me that won't happen but I don't 100% trust that so I wanted to ask around before I did any damage to my credit score.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No!  Don't do that. 

Are you sure it wasn't a trainee and the trainer was in the restroom or something?   That's the worst advice I have ever heard. 

Pretend you were going to lend the money.  Why would you want to give some one a loan and then freeze out all of their emergency credit?  

If I had my way, every borrower would have a $0 balance on every card and, if the absolute worst happens, a cushion of available credit.  If FICO=risk and the action they are outlining would likely drop your credit score, then what they are outlining is the fastest way to put yourself at greater risk post closing.  Certainly not required and probably not a good idea. 

Get another prequalification.

Message 7 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i have never seen a lender ask the borrower to close their credit card accounts.

think about it.... you could open more.

this is plain silly.

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.