Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Preapproval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Preapproval

I tried to get a preapproval to purchase my first home back in March.  I was declined because they required a minimum score of 620.  I thought I had a 649, but I had recently missed a credit card payment by 30 days and my score had dropped to 602.  After looking at the credit report pulled by the mortgage broker, I realized that the equifax score I had been following was much higher than the other 2 scores (554 TU 575 EX).  Today, I recieved an alert that my score is back up to 624, but that is equifax and I have no idea what the other 2 scores are.  I can't even buy the TransUnion score.  Would it be a good idea to ask my broker to pull my report again, even if I am unsure about the other scores, or will that hurt my credit further.  Do most mortage brokers take the highest of the 3, or do all 3 have to be at the minimum 620?  I would love to purchase a home by Dec 1 to take advantage of the tax credit, but I am running out of time...
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage Preapproval

Sorry, I guess it is the experian score that I cannot purchase...
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told that you needed to have at least two scores above 620 and I would suggest you pull the score yourself before allowing the mortgage co. to pull, that way if you are still a few points away, you won't lose any more points due to another inquiry.  Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 4
ineedadvise
Regular Contributor

I would pull them myself (from here so you know they are true scores). They take you middle score or the lowest middle score of the two applicants if you are looking to purchase with someone.  If both are over 620 then your middle score will be above irregardless of your third score.  I am not a "expert" by an means but that's what I would do...hope that helps!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.