Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Qualification Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Qualification Question

We are hoping to buy our first house this year, but I'm beginning to get discouraged.
Here's our situation:
1) Our gross monthly income is $6,000
2) Debt: student loans, $313/mo; car loan $362/mo; credit card balances: $110 /mo (min payments)
3) We both have credit scores in the mid 700s (average across the three)

Here's the issue, we have very little available for a down payment. I will be able to get money from my grandparents as a gift, but the LO I spoke to at my CU said that we would need at least 5% of the purchase price from our own funds, the gift would not apply. We had been hoping to get a house in the $200k range, is that too lofty? Are there other loan options? I know that FHA loans have different requirements, but would we qualify for them? 

Thank you!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage Qualification Question

Not an expert, just tryiny to help out since so many others have helped me...

785 debt payment 6000 income = 13% dti which leaves you about 30% dti = 1800 available for piti payment (principal, interest, taxes and insurance)

FHA will allow for 100% downpayment gift but you you have to be able to show that it isnt a loan and I think it must be a realtive but I could be wrong so if you are thinking FHA and 3.5 % down and gift and 200,000 house, then you are thinking of getting 7,000 from them which would give you a mortgage of 193,000

193,000 at 6% gives you a pi payment of 1150 so now calculate your taxes and insurance and you get your answer on can you afford it, taxes vary so widely, hard for me to say

fico scores are used but the mid score is used not average of the three and now a days, the mid score needs to be 620

as for other FHA requirements, they arent bad, employed in the same field for a few years, no baddies on your reports in the last 12 months, there is a limit on the cost of the house but it varies from place to place, I cant imagine that 200,000 is it though

oh and closing, fha allows 6% seller assist while conventional only allows 3% so you could possible get a motivated seller to pay most of your closing

without much in the bank though a lender might want to see a couple payments in reserves, you can use 401K for that

Message 2 of 3
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage Qualification Question

Sounds like they dont know FHA you should be fine just find someone that does FHA

You will need to get a gift letter and document the transfer of funds but that isnt hard.

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.