tag
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

Mortgage Questions :)

I am new to this board spend a good deal of time on the rebuilding board

but I am getting closer on my scores for a FHA loan, I have a couple questions

1) I have always heard 580 but what score is needed for a FHA loan

2) late pays? my last late was in 2009

3) how much income do I need to finance 35,000? I am doing this on my own without my hubby

I have some time to get things straightned out the house I want won't be out of the summer rental program until the end of 2014 but

I want to know what I am looking at Smiley Happy

Thanks

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Mortgage Questions :)

The lenders have their own overlays for credit requirements. When you are approved for an FHA loan, the FHA criteria is what is minimally acceptable in order for the lender to insure the loan. However, the minimum requirements that the lender has are usually higher for them to actually issue the loan.

For example, WF has the reputation of doing the loan at 580; however, if that is your score you will have to put down substantially more than the typical 3.5% down payment because you represent a much higher risk. BTW, it is very rare for Wells to actually issue those loans as the rest of the criteria is made more restrictive to account for the higher risk with a low score. Those ads are more of a marketing tactic. (

@hoping2rebuild wrote:

I am new to this board spend a good deal of time on the rebuilding board

but I am getting closer on my scores for a FHA loan, I have a couple questions

1) I have always heard 580 but what score is needed for a FHA loan

2) late pays? my last late was in 2009

3) how much income do I need to finance 35,000? I am doing this on my own without my hubby

I have some time to get things straightned out the house I want won't be out of the summer rental program until the end of 2014 but

I want to know what I am looking at Smiley Happy

Thanks

KWIM, throw it up against the wall and see what sticks type of philosophy).

So, if you get your score up to the 620 or 640 range you are much, much more likely to get the loan with the 3.5% down payment.

As to answering specifically what you need to have, it depends upon your lender. You would have a much better chance of getting the loan with a higher score (more than 640) and steady employment in the past two years in the same industry. Make sure your tax returns are filed ontime as all lenders will require your W-2's, tax returns, paystubs, bank statements and credit report at a minimum. DTI is very important for a mortgage so make sure your cc's are at zero except for one less than 9% of your cr line when you make mortgage application. You can read details in the stickies in this mortgage forum.

You are in the right spot to begin your journey. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

Thank You

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Basically it depends on what you want and what route you're going?  Will this be your primary home?  I assume you are trying for FHA?  If you get to the 620-640 mark your chances are pretty good.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.