New Contributor
prabs99

Mortgage Refinance?

[ Edited ]

I have a FHA mortgage that is 4 years old. I owe 214K on it. The interest rate is 4.5%. The value of the home is 235K. Can I refinance it? What are my options?

Thanks for you help.

1. Credit.  766 (Disc) 06/15/2014
  2. Income.  96K
  3. Source of income.  Employment
  4. Monthly debt payments.  11% DTI
  5. Employment 7 years, W2
  6. Assets/Reserves.  6K
  7. Location.  WA State, Benton County
  8. Property.  Single family house, 
  9. Value.  235K
  10. Occupancy.  Primary residence
  11. Transaction Type.  Refinance
FICO (Discover) 767
Established Contributor
TheGardner

Re: Mortgage Refinance?

I am not an expert but I don't think a refi will help you. Without 20% equity you will not avoid PMI. Right now you have 20k equity a large part of which will be lost to closing costs. What's the purpose for the refi?

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 720 for all in 2014.
TU - 729 EX - 703 EQ - 697 myfico 3 score watch
Need to work on AAoA now..
In the Garden Oct 23, 2014 - ?
Super Contributor
ShanetheMortgageMan

You could refinance into a new FHA loan and get a lower interest rate, but the mortgage insurance would now be for the life of the loan (whereas currently it will drop off after at least 5% years and when you pay your mortgage balance down to 78% of the value at the time you got the loan).  You could refinance into conventional and get a similar interest rate, and pay .59% per year in mortgage insurance (assuming a 760+ score)... but I believe your mortgage insurance is being calculated at .50% per year if you got the mortgage between 4/5/10 & 10/4/10.

New Contributor
prabs99

JUst for my clarification, if the loan value drops below 78%, I wont be paying the PMI, but if I refinance using FHA now I will be paying PMI for the entire loan. I dont mind waiting a few more years. Thanks for you help. Is a fixed rate or ARM better over the long run? 

FICO (Discover) 767
Super Contributor
ShanetheMortgageMan

That is correct, new FHA loans now, with loan-to-values over 90%, will pay PMI for the life of the loan.

We are in a time where interest rates have remained low for an unprecedented amount of time, so historically I'd say a fixed rate is better in the long run... but if someone got an ARM back in 2003-2004 they would've done better than someone who got a fixed rate back then.

New Contributor
prabs99

Thanks for your help.

FICO (Discover) 767

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}