Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Score Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage Score Question

The fact that your collections are fairly new may be what's holding you back. Yes, as they age, they will have less of an impact. All of my collections and charge-offs are from 2011, and majority of them stopped updating monthly in 2013-2014. Because you are paying on the medical collections, I would assume they are updating your report to show a positive monthly payment. If they are still updating every month to show non-payment, it's not helping your situation and wouldn't help you in getting a mortgage either because your reports are showing recent negative payment history.  You mentioned you cannot pull your reports right now. My advice would be to get a CreditKarma account, which is free. Ignore the score since it's a Vantage Score, but it will provide you weekly updates with your Transunion and Equifax accounts so you can see the activity there. CreditCheckTotal is another vendor that you could use. Sign up with them and take advantage of the free trial. Cancel your membership and sign up again when you need it. 

Don't put too much weight on the student loans unless you're in a position to pay them off. That's a matter of it being "it is what it is". For the AU situation, my lender actually advised my husband to add me to his card. 

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pretty much use every free service out there, but for some reason whenever I go to look at my reports today, I keep getting an error might just be my internet because it happens on my phone and computer.  I think they are just updating the balance, but not reporting a payment history.  Are there breakpoints with collections or payment history like account age or utilization?  The account actually went into default 9/15, but was reported as a collection 9/16.  Depending on where you look, this also shows up as my last missed payment.  Which of those dates actually matters?  I know the default does when it comes to deletion.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a question I would post in the Understanding Your FICO Score board. The experts over there will have the answers to those questions. I just know that as certain derogs age, their impact lessens. However, the experts over there have made statements like the 90-120 day lates have the full impact for the entire 7 years. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.