Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Score higher than Fico8

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Score higher than Fico8

My husband and I are in the process of buying our dream home. We had 1 disputed acct and removed it last week per lender request. I checked our scores (we previously tracked them through quizzle) after that and the score dropped 40 points. I signed up for myfico and the fico8 score is listed around the same as the quizzle score but the mortgage score on myfico is between 20 and 70 points higher than the fico8. 

Is it normal for the scores to differ so much and will the lender most likely look at the fico8 or the mortgage score?

Would a mortgage score increase while a fico8 decrease after a dispute is removed?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Mortgage Score higher than Fico8

Lender only looks at FICO mortgage scores.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank goodness! The new fico8 score would put us out of the running for this home, now to get through underwriting Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank goodness! The new fico8 score would put us out of the running for this home, now to get through underwriting Smiley Happy

Really underwriting is not all that tough if you have a good LO and processor that is experienced and knowledgeable. The LO and processor know what the underwriter wants to see and the good one's anticipate what paperwork will provide the information the u/w needs to make the decision.

Most of the files go through underwriting easily when prepared right. The only time I have seen issues is if there has been a (unfavorable) change in the borrowers financial condition from the original application date.  

Note: I have seen files not prepared right up front and then when the borrower goes to another lender with a better LO the file is approved.  There was a buyer on one of my listings that this happened to in Feb this year, but his original LO at Chase was clueless and he had to switch to another lender. It was a waste of 30 days plus a waste of appraisal money. So your selection of the right LO and lender up front is the critical component.

If you have the right LO, and you have prepared yourself for a mortgage, you will have a much better loan experience

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

For some reason, my scores are exactly the same. My mid Fico8 is a 601. My mid mortgage score is a 618. Every single mortgage is higher than the corresponding Fico8. I'm at the end of a chapter 13,. I thought that may have had something to do with it until we pulled my fiance's mortgage scores. Her mid Fico8 is a 625. Her mid mortgage score is a 656. I have no explanation at all but we're not complaining lol. We've been working to get to a 620 mortgage score since January and we are just about there.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

obviously, mortgage scores are heavily based on installment loans. If you have great installment history, your mortgage score will reflect it. Your fico should return to normal in a few months. It was probably considering the AAoA from the collections and that is the reason for your decrease. Weird. Collections helping more than hurting Smiley Tongue 

Message 6 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

obviously, mortgage scores are heavily based on installment loans. If you have great installment history, your mortgage score will reflect it. Your fico should return to normal in a few months. It was probably considering the AAoA from the collections and that is the reason for your decrease. Weird. Collections helping more than hurting Smiley Tongue 

The only mortgage trifecta score affected at all by installment loans is EX Risk Model v2, for both EQ Beacon 5.0 and Transunion Classic 04 they're just payment history and if they're on there at all, credit mix.

Probably 1/3 of the forum denizens here have had higher mortgage trifectas than FICO 8's: I actually fell into that category before I started playing reindeer games with installment utilization which spiked my FICO 8's but didn't do much for my mortgage trifecta... other than keep me above the 720 tier boundary anyway Smiley Happy.

@Anonymous: would have know the data in your file to give you any reason for it in your case; however, if the mortgage scores make the grade, you're fine as S10 stated.

        
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This makes me feel so much better! We got conditions from the underwriter today. Super easy stuff that we completed and sent in a couple hours after it was requested. We are still waiting on the appraisal to be finished. It was supposed to be completed Thursday 3/31 but the appraiser advised the lender he needed more time since it was an unusual property without many comps. We are buying 14 acres with a 7 yr old 4/2 2500 sqft mobile home on it. Hopefully we hear back from him soon. We are supposed to close 4/18. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The only mortgage trifecta score affected at all by installment loans is EX Risk Model v2, for both EQ Beacon 5.0 and Transunion Classic 04 they're just payment history and if they're on there at all, credit mix.

Probably 1/3 of the forum denizens here have had higher mortgage trifectas than FICO 8's: I actually fell into that category before I started playing reindeer games with installment utilization which spiked my FICO 8's but didn't do much for my mortgage trifecta... other than keep me above the 720 tier boundary anyway Smiley Happy.

@Anonymous: would have know the data in your file to give you any reason for it in your case; however, if the mortgage scores make the grade, you're fine as S10 stated.

Yeah I was going to say, my mortgage trifecta was highet( but not by much) my fico 8s and I had nada by way of installment loans. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for correcting me. I thought it was based off installment payment history because my Fico 8 is way higher than my Mortgage Trifecta and that is probably because I had lates noted on my car payment. However, no lates on my credit cards. I apologize for assuming and giving out wrong information. Thank you for the rescue, as always. Great community.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.