Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Score vs Rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Score vs Rate

I know mortgage scores do not have such a drastic effect on rates on FHA loans compared to conventional. My question for the loan officers out there... my current mid score is around 660. I will be going FHA at the beginning of the year. I can pay down some credit card debt (my current overall utilization is around 50%) and get my score up to around 680. Would that get me a lower rate or benefit me in any way? I'm fine on DTI with my current balances and would prefer to save some of that cash for furnishing the house after closing but if putting it towards CC debt will help, I might be willing to do it.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Mortgage Score vs Rate

I'm not a LO, I'm a Realtor. IMO, at 660 you are fine for an FHA loan.  Keep the extra cash. There is no benefit to getting a higher score unless you want to go conventional. 

I'm sure LO's will chime in a little later. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Each lender's pricing algorithm is a little different, so it can't hurt to get a quote at 660 vs. 680 from your local lender. Most likely it will make more sense to keep the cash.

Message 3 of 4
kc0039
Established Contributor

It makes more sense to take the cash. The difference in interest rates are about 1/8. Go to your local lender and ask them for a quote.

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.