Like other posts that I've read, my FICO8's are:

EXP: 725

EQ: 731

TU: 720

However Mortgage scores are drastically lower:

EXP: 672 (53 points difference)

EQ: 664 (67 points difference)

TU: 700 (20 points)

I had an issue on a 2nd mortgage (HELOC) where I had 3 - 30 day lates in 2014. This is the only thing I can think of that is responsible for the drastic difference in the scores. I recently paid half of my revolving debt- dropping to nearly 30%. But, with the mortgage scores this low I think no amount of payoff of revolving debt is going to help in the short term - it must be the 30 days that is killing me with the mortgage scores.  I did pull the latest 3B so it should be the latest data. Has anyone seen this? Lender will do a rapid re-score but clearly not going to make up a 30+ point difference to get the middle score to 700+.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Mortgage Scores Much lower

I assume you have already made mortgage application so your LO should have a good simulator that can tell you what to pay off to best boost your scores.  I assume this from your statement that your LO could do a rapid rescore. If I am wrong, please correct me. 

I can tell you from personal experience that you will see a big boost if you do pay your revolving to less than 30% AND have more accounts reporting zero than non-zero (yes, even a $10 balance is a non-zero account).  

I was reading a post by someone else (in the Understanding FICO scoring section a while ago)  that had 8 tradelines, each reporting $1 balance.  Then paid off all but 2 TL and had the same $$ total dollar amount on the two accounts as the previous month, and the difference was about ~30 points IIRC.  I will see if I can find that post for you.  It might take awhile Smiley Happy but you get my point. It is important that you have TL's reporting zero balances and the TL's that you want to report a balance need to under 30% of the individual credit limit (and under 30% aggregate). You can get more points by paying down to less than 10% total but you don't want to erode your funds for purchasing a home. It is a delicate balance. 

I think you are right about the 3-30 day lates in 2014 affecting your mortgage scores but having low utilitization is a good counter balance to those late pays. 

EDIT:  I didn't find the thread I was thinking about - but I found one that illustrates the point above: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Number-of-revolving-tradelines-reporting-...

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage Scores Much lower

Got my scores today and am in a similar boat:

fico8 - 683, 678, 686

mortgage - 637, 641, 682

I have no mortgages, one CC with a $12 balance (2% utilization), a car note, and two student loans. The student loans have lates from 9 months ago.

My takeaway is that mortgage scores rely more heavily on installment loans than fico8's do.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.