Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Scores & Interest Rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage Scores & Interest Rate

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know what is normal, but we have a mid score of 661, and we got 4.25 on a FHA.

That's a tad high. Did you take any lender credits?

Message 11 of 22
DI
Super Contributor

My loan is conventional for a condo.  I'm not able to get an FHA loan to buy a condo.  Maybe the interest for Conventional is a little higher. 

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

My loan is conventional for a condo.  I'm not able to get an FHA loan to buy a condo.  Maybe the interest for Conventional is a little higher. 

Yes, typically conventional rates are higher, but mortgage insurance rates are lower as long as your credit score is on the higher side.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are using a down payment grant and that probably plays into it. My mid score is the 661, husband's is 672.

Two coworkers are purchasing at the same time, I don't know their financial situations but they are both getting 4.5, one is conventional and the other is FHA. Maybe this is pretty normal for Oregon?
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you eligible for VA? I closed 3 weeks ago at 3.25%, no PMI.

Message 15 of 22
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

I'm just in the preapproval stage but the disclosures I have to sign and send back has a quoted rate for FHA of 3.75%.

Message 16 of 22
Raycher33

I have a middle credit score of 790 and received a 4.375% rate quote yesterday on a 30yr fixed with 20% down (325k total purchase / 260k loan amount) with approx $8k closing costs (out the door).  Seems a bit high, since I had a 3.75 rate quoted approx 60 days ago but rates are slightly up over last couple months (thank Greece?), so it's good to see others getting quotes consistent in that neigborhood.

I'm going to explore the option to put less down (5-10%) to see how that might impact loan/payments.  My lender said that would cost me nothing (other than higher loan amount and total cost of borrowing, obviously) due to excellent credit qualifications (no mortgage insurance required).  That said, does anyone have experience with how lowering the down payment might affect the potential interest rate positively or negatively?

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can sometimes run up against pricing adjustments for low down payment which might cause you to bump up another eighth. Curious, how are you doing 5-10% down without PMI? It must be with a second as over 80% without MI isn't agency no matter how good your credit or income is.
Message 18 of 22
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Raycher33 wrote:

I have a middle credit score of 790 and received a 4.375% rate quote yesterday on a 30yr fixed with 20% down (325k total purchase / 260k loan amount) with approx $8k closing costs (out the door).  Seems a bit high, since I had a 3.75 rate quoted approx 60 days ago but rates are slightly up over last couple months (thank Greece?), so it's good to see others getting quotes consistent in that neigborhood.

I'm going to explore the option to put less down (5-10%) to see how that might impact loan/payments.  My lender said that would cost me nothing (other than higher loan amount and total cost of borrowing, obviously) due to excellent credit qualifications (no mortgage insurance required). <= never heard of that   That said, does anyone have experience with how lowering the down payment might affect the potential interest rate positively or negatively?

Retired Lender
Message 19 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

@Raycher33 wrote:

I'm going to explore the option to put less down (5-10%) to see how that might impact loan/payments.  My lender said that would cost me nothing (other than higher loan amount and total cost of borrowing, obviously) due to excellent credit qualifications (no mortgage insurance required). <= never heard of that   That said, does anyone have experience with how lowering the down payment might affect the potential interest rate positively or negatively?

I haven't heard of that from a conventional fixed; OP are we talking about a portfolio lender here?  Unless there's something about your area which is different than mine, hell even Chase on their conventional fixed Agency loan (and they aren't the lowest rate around in my experience) with your stats is quoting 4% flat at 0.125 points as of today.  I wouldn't be taking that deal personally.

@DLG: I know for example Chase doesn't charge any sort of MI on their 15% down jumbo product anymore, there is a small rate increase though, but likewise if insured by FHA or purchased by Fannie/Freddie, I would've assumed insurance requirements are there on anything other than someone portfolioing their own loans.

        
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.