Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Vs Auto payment

tag
tk_0014
Established Member

Mortgage Vs Auto payment

Hey all,

I just closed on my first house! I financed 33,000 dollars on it over a 20 year 5/1 ARM with the intent of paying it off in 5 years or less.The initial interest rate is 3.99. payment is around $202.

I currently owe 25,100 on a car loan at 4.09% Payment is $649 but I always pay at least $700

No prepayment penalties on either account.

I have around 10k in cc balances that accrued while I saved up for a down payment and some repairs, probably about 10% of my total UTL. Obviously this gets paid off first ASAP. Shouldnt take too long.

After that, I was looking for opinions on how to best pay these off. Would I be better off paying the ARM off during the fixed period and leaving the fixed rate car payment? Or hammering the car to 0 and making over 1k house payments once I have that chunk freed up?

Thanks!

MyFICO (4/13) EQ score 733 CK TU score 6/13 754 FCR EX 4/13 736

CU overdraft protection CL $500 Freedom $3000 CSP $8000 BofA 123Cash Reward $3000 C1 QS1 $1250, C1 QS $5500 PP Cred $2950 Amex BCP $19500 DISC IT: $14,100 Home Depot $8000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage Vs Auto payment

Aside from my jealousy of such a low mortgage. 

I would say pay the house off first to avoid the ARM snapping back to something high. 

Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mortgage Vs Auto payment

What were your mortgage scores?  Something like a 685 can get you 2% or thereabouts on a car loan, may be worth refing the car off 4 (not that it's a bad rate but would get your payments going further).

I agree with twalsh's comment re: pay down the house first as ARM resets might be awkward in a couple of years; however, that auto payment seems high for what you owe for that rate on the car by a non-trivial amount.  Might be able to get out of debt that much faster, I'd look into it personally now that the mortgage is closed.

Congrats on that!

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.