Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Frequent Contributor

Mortgage and new trade lines

Is the 6 month rule for no new trade lines prior to mortgage preapproval absolute? I got a ussa card in July and my SO got a bce last month for groceries. We both have mid 700 scores and make a decent income. Just wondering if this will hold us back.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage and new trade lines

Jake0215 wrote:

Is the 6 month rule for no new trade lines prior to mortgage preapproval absolute? I got a ussa card in July and my SO got a bce last month for groceries. We both have mid 700 scores and make a decent income. Just wondering if this will hold us back.

If you want to get a better rate then yes it's absolute.  YMMV depending on your fico score.  If your scores are marginal then it's best to follow the 6 month rule. If you have very high fico scores (750+) then not so much of a problem.

Frequent Contributor

namvet wrote:

Jake0215 wrote:

If you want to get a better rate then yes it's absolute.  YMMV depending on your fico score.  If your scores are marginal then it's best to follow the 6 month rule. If you have very high fico scores (750+) then not so much of a problem.

What about FHA where the rates are generally locked, correct?

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jake0215 wrote:

Nope! I just got 4 new cards (2 USAA) in July and another new card (USAA) will post in a couple weeks. My loan officer, who is a former underwriter, didn't bat an eye... she said I'll just need to explain to the underwriters that it was for bolstering my credit profile. .. My middle score was 702

FICO 08 EX: 802 EQ: 780 TU: 804

Total Credit Lines: $133,700
Valued Contributor

Just whatever you do DONT open a new TL while in the mortgage process

ccpics2.jpg
New Visitor

Is there a way I can have your LO name?

Moderator Emeritus

[ Edited ]

specialk30 wrote:

Is there a way I can have your LO name?

Welcome! Unfortunately lender's names and contact info cannot be posted publicly. ETA....while it's unadvisable to open new accounts prior to the mortgage because of the score drop in most cases, some lenders really don't care that much depending on your credit. If you have one giving you grief, either let it age or find another lender and you'll be good to go.

Valued Contributor

If you are going to go conventional, it is a bad idea to open a new account because it could lower your score putting you in a new credit teir and messing up your rate.

If you are going FHA, just be careful if you close to the FHA min score.

If you have an 800 score and going FHA, opening a new account would be a non issue.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.