Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage application, credit inquiries explanation

tag
Truckin88
New Visitor

Mortgage application, credit inquiries explanation

Currently going for a refi with bank that holds mortgage. They want an explanation of credit inquiries. Don't know which ones yet. Both of us have good to excellent credit, good income, money in bank, retirement accounts. DTI ratio of 28-30%. I did however consolidate 40k of debt with a SOFI personal loan at a great rate a month before going for mortgage refi. House is above water via the appraisal thank god. What do I say in my explanation, will this affect mortgage application?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Truckin88
New Visitor

Re: Mortgage application, credit inquiries explanation

Also I did shop rates on PL and mortgage so I figure there are inquiries from that as well.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Mortgage lendors get ansy when then see a rash of inquiries immediately preceeding your loan app with them, as it could possibly indicate that you will also be taking on new, additional debt not currently reporting.  They thus want to be assured that the inquiries are not apt to create immediate, new debt.

Message 3 of 5
Truckin88
New Visitor

Ok how should I answer the questions. They should see the PL it was a month prior and closed before I even talked to them. Also everything is on statements. The rest was rate shopping.
Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Truckin88 wrote:
Ok how should I answer the questions. They should see the PL it was a month prior and closed before I even talked to them. Also everything is on statements. The rest was rate shopping.

Simply state the truth in a letter to the lender.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.