Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage application in jeopardy due to new collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage application in jeopardy due to new collections

I am in the middle of a mortgage approval and supposed to close in 3 weeks.  I had 2 medical collections put on my report recently that are really pulling down my score.  I have been fighting the CA on these and finally got word that they will delete.  This was not a pay for delete arrangement.  I already paid the original creditor and filed a bbb complaint against the CA because I dispute it going to collections.  Anyway, CA requested delete, but said it can take up to 30 days to update on my credit reports.

I CANNOT wait 30 days!  I need these gone in the next week, 2 at the most, so that the mortgage can get approved and closed in time.

Do I have any options?  Can I submit the BBB response where the CA agreed to delete to the CRA directly and get it removed faster?  I realize this is a bad move for PFD scenarios, but that's not what mine is.  I can't submit a dispute because of the mortgage application.  Would a rapid rescore be an option?  This mortgage process has me completely stressed out!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Mortgage application in jeopardy due to new collections

I'm not sure this would work - but if I were in your shoes I would file a complaint with the CFPB. They move fast and are much more effective than the BBB.

Message 2 of 8
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the middle of a mortgage approval and supposed to close in 3 weeks.  I had 2 medical collections put on my report recently that are really pulling down my score.  I have been fighting the CA on these and finally got word that they will delete.  This was not a pay for delete arrangement.  I already paid the original creditor and filed a bbb complaint against the CA because I dispute it going to collections.  Anyway, CA requested delete, but said it can take up to 30 days to update on my credit reports.

I CANNOT wait 30 days!  I need these gone in the next week, 2 at the most, so that the mortgage can get approved and closed in time.

Do I have any options?  Can I submit the BBB response where the CA agreed to delete to the CRA directly and get it removed faster?  I realize this is a bad move for PFD scenarios, but that's not what mine is.  I can't submit a dispute because of the mortgage application.  Would a rapid rescore be an option?  This mortgage process has me completely stressed out!

Thanks!

which CR was it inserted in? If its EQ, I can help get it off in 1hr or less. If its EQ PM me.

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think CA's always say 30 to 45 days because they're required to say that but since the reporting is usually done electronically, the deletion happens in a few days in my experience.

I would ask for the CA for a copy of the deletion/paid in full letter to have as back up just in case  

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful when filing a complaint. The bureaus will add a dispute comment to the account you filed the complaint against.

They do move quickly to resolve complaints but they still have 30 days. And there's still no guarantee it turns out on your favor - I have one open now and the bureaus have all "updated" the accounts in response, however, now all three are reporting the same account differently - yep, I've got to complain about the fix to the complaint, it's a never ending roller coaster!!!!!
Message 5 of 8
Curious0ne
New Contributor

To shols44, how can you "fix" things at EQ? I have 3 old accounts that don't show a closed date even though they are paid and closed? One actually shows open on Credit Karma.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I've just learned a valuable lesson in PATIENCE!  Collections are off of all my reports as of today!  I'm so excited.  I really thought they would not fall off in time, but thankfully, I was wrong  Smiley Happy

Thanks everyone for your advice!  This forum is amazing!

Message 7 of 8
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@Curious0ne wrote:

To shols44, how can you "fix" things at EQ? I have 3 old accounts that don't show a closed date even though they are paid and closed? One actually shows open on Credit Karma.

This really wouldn't apply. For one, it could be that format you are using to review isn't pulling the data right. The only place I'd trust is an actual creditreport from annualcreditreport.com. If that is wrong, them a simple dispute should solve it. 

I was referring to situtations were normal customer service gives you the standard 30-45 day answer when time is of the essence. I've been fortunate in getting timely immediate help from the exec office. I wouldn't bother them with trivial things though. That's how important helpful avenues die. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.