Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage approval and self employed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage approval and self employed

I'm looking for a loan most likely FHA and am self employed. I have my tax returns for the past 2 years. The problem is my actual income and my taxes are very different. I was able to include 60000 in intial inventory purchases(had to to have a ending inventory) this year but they were actually paid for buy a business loan and not out of pocket. I can document this. it has skewed my income to actually claiming a near loss last year on the business whereas i really made much more. Will underwriiters take this into consideration. Its not ammortization. I have a 656 and 658 fico score so I should be fine on that. Any help?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage approval and self employed

If you paid for the inventory with a business loan then the cash from the loan would be listed as a business asset and cover the "loss" of paying out the inventory.  Then any payments made against it would be counted against the business's gains.  Obviously if you got the loan in say decemeber and the purchased inventory in January this would skew taxes from one year to another but should be proveable.  In that case you would have an overstated income one year and an understated income the next.  As long as it was proveable via paperwork the LO and UW could probably average the 2 years incomes.

But, if you did not claim the loan as an asset/cash recieved and were just expecting to write off all the payments you made with the loan and the payments you will make to pay it back, then something is not right.  Whether it is the case or not, it looks like hiding a cash infusion to minimize taxable income and they will not allow that income to be included.

Also, as SE, if you posted last years income as a negative number there is little chance that anyone will loan in this market.  As Dallas always says..."think have your cake and eat it too"  If the inventory was paid for out of a loan, the only part that should have actually affected the business "income" would be any payments made on the loan

To simplify, your "actual" income is the same as your tax income, they are not different no matter how you want to phrase it.  You cashflow may be differnet, but income is the amount of money that the government taxes you on.  And unfortunately that is what lenders are required to go by.  If you use accounting rules or weird accounting procedures to declare the minimum in actual business income, then you do it at the cost of having proveable income.  In this market, you would most likely need to have 680 - 700 FICO and 10-20% down to come close to finding a lona for this.  In any case, good luck with it and I hope you get it figured out.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are saying. Not sure if it makes any difference but my business is a franchise. The business loan is actually through the company I purchase the franchise from so essentially they finance the purchase of all the inventory and acounts i purchased. Also i have noticed that that this loan is being reported and will affect my DTI. Would i not be able to count my gross profits in this case. Believe me accounting is a new world to me and I have absolutely no intentions of any kinds of shady accounting.
Message 3 of 4
gpeach
Regular Contributor

If you don't mind me asking what type of business it it? Retail? Did you physically count what was left at the end of 2008? That is your ending inventory. Then everything backs out of that.

If you had say zero inventory at beginning of 2008 and added 60,000 in inventory. Then your physical inventory at end of 2008 had 40,000 left. Then your cost of goods to deduct from taxable income is 20,000 not 60,000. You only get to deduct the cost of goods that sold during 2008. Leaving a beginning inventory of 40,000 for 2009 to carry over.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.