Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage approval with student loan deferment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage approval with student loan deferment

How will a deferred student loan affect my chances for a loan approval?  The amount is over 100000.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage approval with student loan deferment

swmom,

It won't affect it at all.  Nor was it averaged into my DTI.  It helps because it shows a steady payment history.  I went FHA and it was not a factor.

Message 2 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It depends on what type of mortgage you are qualifying for.

For USDA & conventional financing, the payment on a student loan (whether deferred or not) is always included in the debt to income ratio, even if the repayment won't start for many years.

For VA & FHA financing it'll be included in the debt to income ratio unless it is deferred for 12 months from the closing date.  Documentation is needed stating when it will begin repayment or deferment will end, this could be listed on the credit report or a statement from the student loan creditor.  Ambiguous statements such as "deferred for 6 months after graduation" do not work since graduation isn't ever guaranteed and someone can quit going to school at any time.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine was deferred for over 12 months from time of closing.  I went on the Direct student loan website and printed documents from my account and submitted them. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.