cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage approval with unpaid charge off?

tag
igids1
Regular Contributor

Mortgage approval with unpaid charge off?

Is it possible to get a mortgage, probably FHA, with an unpaid charge off? There is no CA reporting on this. It's almost five years since last payment, and I'd rather not pay it if I do not have to.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage approval with unpaid charge off?

I'm no expert, but I think it would depend on the amount owed and you're credit scores.

Message 2 of 6
igids1
Regular Contributor

1100, for sake of argument, will use 640 score. Have some things that should be coming off soon.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once again, I am no expert and someone may have a better understanding of this than I do, but I have read and saw threads posted here that indicate with a score of 640 or above a charge off under 5000 may not need to be paid. You might want to consider calling a few lenders and explain the situation to them and see what they advise you to do.

Message 4 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's a YMMV on the lender. I'd take steps now to pay it off and maybe you'd gain quite a few points in the process. If not wanting to take action now, then at least have the cash reserves to the side to have the ability to pay it off if you had to.

Message 5 of 6
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Please, please. If you have the money to spare. PAY IT. The last.....thing you want is for that account to pop up during your home buying process. Collections are notorious for popping up during a pull by a CA who sees a mortgage inquiry. My 10 cents.

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.