cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage before or Mortgage after Bk falls off?

tag
magundus
Established Member

Mortgage before or Mortgage after Bk falls off?

Looking to apply for a mortgage this year. I had intended on applying after my chapter 7 falls off in a few more months but I have heard conflicting reports about whether or not my score would even go up after deletion. While I have rebuilt some credit I have 5 collection accounts(3 Midland) that I settled within the past year. All that is left on report from a balance standpoint is student loans that are being paid as agreed. So my DTI is one of the few things working in my favor. I have a few low limit cc's that I applied for in the past year and keep less than 15% on those. 

I am hesitant to apply for anymore so i dont have too many inquiries. My question is should I wait until the bk falls off completely before applying and is there anything else I can do in the meantime to raise my score? My fico is currently 668 and I'm hesitant to do anything else that could potentially lower my score. I would appreciate some insight since I am unsure what to do from here.

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 673
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage before or Mortgage after Bk falls off?

I would go ahead and apply now. When my BK fell off my report last year my score dropped 10 points.

Message 2 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Eewwww don't tell me that tooleman...you're breaking my spirits. :-( LOL
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 14
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you have 5 collections post bk

that is bad

i would wait unless i had a VERYYYYYYYYYYY good explanation for the new collections after a bk

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 14
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

I would wait. 

Derog credit post BK is not looked upon favorably. 

Message 5 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

That is what I was thinking too. I also have a Chapter 7 that is due to fall off my reports in Aug 2013. I have one unpaid collection from 2009 and I closed on an FHA loan on 2/6/13 with a mid fico of 703. My LO told me if I had any lates, I would not be approved. The one unpaid collection didn't have to be paid because my score was higher. My lender required a mid score of 660.

After BK, you are supposed to be a model citizen as best as you possibility can. Unless you have a great letter of explanation that you can write to the UW stating that those collections were out of your control, I don't think your file will go over well with a BK, borderline credit score, and 5 collections in the past 2 years. I would wait until the BK falls off and try then as someone who never filed. There is a chance, they will look it up in public records...just be aware of that. But in your case, you have a much better chance getting approved after the BK is removed.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 14
magundus
Established Member

I should add that 4 of the accounts of those collections are 5-6 years old and one that is 2 years old. Again, all of those paid to zero balance. I realize that no collection or late payment etc. is ever looked upon as favorable in the eyes of a lender. I also realize that waiting until everything falls off the report, keeping revolving to a minimum, and establishing new credit over time is the best possible choice as far as getting a favorable mortgage. I do know that people get approval for scores that are less than mine. I guess for now I can give it a try and see what kind of rate they'd be willing to extend - yes, I could get dinged for an inquiry but if I end up waiting anyways it won't really matter.

I have noticed interest rates on the rise of late and expect they will continue to do so. It is quite possible I could wait a few years then home prices recover, rates go up, my score goes up but still it really wasn't worth the wait. I've rented for nearly 15 years now and I just look back at all the money wasted. Even a bad home loan(high interest) is better than renting IMO. Even if I am paying tons in interest, some of the money is still going toward something. There is also a chance I could restructure the loan at a later point in time once my credit has fully recovered.

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 673
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

When I went into UW I still had the BK on my reports, and I have lates from 2009 when my student loan went default. Plus a collection.

It has fallen off since then. Maybe thats why they didnt ask about it.

Message 8 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

The problem is you incurred all of those collections AFTER bankruptcy. Yes scores are approved that are lower than yours everyday but most times the applicant did not have a BK on their reports or if they did, they didn't have derogatory information after the BK. Derogatory info after BK looks very bad to lenders. That is the problem. Like I said, my LO said if I had even one late payment, I would have been denied. They may let one small screw up pass but multiple screw ups shows the lender that the person still hasn't learned how to manage credit post BK.

Lenders also like to see multiple positive trade lines after BK to evaluate how much that person has learned about managing credit post BK. No positive trade lines post BK can be equally as bad as having multiple collections post BK. How many positive trade lines do you have and how old are they?

The paid collections (especially) the most recent one I would try to GW.

You can most certainly fill out the application and give it a try, just don't be surprised if it comes back denied. It isn't all about a qualifying credit score. Lenders look at many other things to determine if someone is a good candidate for a mortgage or not. If your scores were in the 700's, you would have more leverage with the lender. You may get approved with conditions that aren't easy to satisfy. Like the lender may require 3 months of reserves and several collections removed from your reports like we are telling you to do before hand. Having a conditional approval with conditions that cannot be satisfied before the preapproval expires, is basically a denial as you would have to reapply after you satisfied the condition. Preapprovals are only good for 90-120 days and it is likely to come back with conditions that cannot be satisfied before the preapproval expires. If you wait for the BK to fall off, your conditions will be easier to satisfy. To me, an approval with conditions that are impossible to satisfy before your preapproval expires, is a denial dressed up in nice clothes.
Message 9 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I should also emphasize that your interest rate will probably be about the same as someone with a 700 score going FHA. Your score impacts your interest rate more so if you go conventional and to go conventional, you will need at least a 680. You will most likely get a good interest rate going FHA, but with conditions that are impossible to satisfy in the timeframe allotted. You can also look into NACA, which doesn't qualify you based on score but it takes 6-24 months for approval as they have 14 pages of requirements you must meet for approval excluding a credit score requirement.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.