cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage broker lives in another state...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage broker lives in another state...

I have a friend who is a financial planner and she recommended that I contact a friend of hers who is a mortgage broker. He seems very helpful (we need a hefty credit boost and between this board and his advice, I think we might actually be able to accomplish it) and has more advice than the stooge that I talked to at the bank a few days ago, but I've read several things on this board advising against doing the mortgage process totally online. Now I'm questioning doing business with him...thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage broker lives in another state...

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a friend who is a financial planner and she recommended that I contact a friend of hers who is a mortgage broker. He seems very helpful (we need a hefty credit boost and between this board and his advice, I think we might actually be able to accomplish it) and has more advice than the stooge that I talked to at the bank a few days ago, but I've read several things on this board advising against doing the mortgage process totally online. Now I'm questioning doing business with him...thoughts?

First thought is to make sure he or she is licensed in your state.

Once you find that out then you have the general worries. 

1. Never sign anything electronically when making a home purchase.

2. Never pay anything in cash when buying a home even if buying the home with-out financing use a certified check.

3. Make sure you are able to drive to them or them come to you for closing.

4. Have an attorney look over all documents sent for your signature before signing anything.

5. Use a local Title Company in case changes have to be made to any documentation.

These are not all inclusive, but its an idea of things you should concern yourself with.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 3
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage broker lives in another state...

@JM-AM wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

First thought is to make sure he or she is licensed in your state.

Once you find that out then you have the general worries. 

1. Never sign anything electronically when making a home purchase.

2. Never pay anything in cash when buying a home even if buying the home with-out financing use a certified check.

3. Make sure you are able to drive to them or them come to you for closing.

4. Have an attorney look over all documents sent for your signature before signing anything.

5. Use a local Title Company in case changes have to be made to any documentation.

These are not all inclusive, but its an idea of things you should concern yourself with.

Can you explain the logic to number 3? I am working with an out of state loan officer....

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.