Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage broker vs loan officer

tag
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

Mortgage broker vs loan officer

What is the difference between a loan officer and a broker in regards to what they charge for their services?

Starting Score: EQ 564, TU 560
Current Score: EQ 724, TU 770, EX 789
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage broker vs loan officer

Mortgage brokers/loan officers will charge what the market will allow.  A GFE has to be provided so you can compare the costs.  Mortgage brokers are competive with direct lenders and in some cases will charge less.  Most consumers will call at least three lenders to compare rates and costs.  Don't pay any fees upfront.  The pre-qualification process should be free. 

Message 2 of 7
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

Is there a way to know generally how much it will cost??

Message 3 of 7
User273165
Regular Contributor

How much what will cost? The entire closing process? Or the loan origination fee?

Message 4 of 7
whodatnation2
Regular Contributor

All of the above....thanks

Message 5 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@whodatnation2 wrote:

For you, I would recommend a mortgage broker who qualifies in FHA loans, especially if this is your first house.   If you are a veteran, I would receommend that you look into VA loan options.  Your scores are marginal for conventional and conventional requires a higher down payment and has stricter lending criteria.

Mortgage brokers don't get paid unless you get keys, so they tend to work harder.  They are also working for YOU, not the bank.  

A Loan Officer usually works for a bank, and he is more interested in keeping his employer happy than he is in keeping YOU happy because he doesn't work for you.

The fees can be higher with a broker, but in some cases, the end lender pays the mortgage broker fees.

If you want the name of a mortgage broker that I worked with on my FHA Streamline Refinance, I will be glad to give you her name.  She specializes in FHA loans and was very knowledgeable when it came to refinancing my FHA loan on an investment property.

The fees will be disclosed to you up front when you receive your Good Faith Estimate.  Sometimes borrowers "shop" for lenders by comparing fees listed in the GFEs from different lenders. The first step is to get a couple of GFEs to compare and determine which option best fits your needs.  Here is a list of helpful threads for you that will help you for understanding abbreviations and for help understanding the Good Faith Estimate: 

Best of luck to you as your start your journey!

WHODAT!!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 7
namvet
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@whodatnation2 wrote:

For you, I would recommend a mortgage broker who qualifies in FHA loans, especially if this is your first house.   If you are a veteran, I would receommend that you look into VA loan options.  Your scores are marginal for conventional and conventional requires a higher down payment and has stricter lending criteria.

Mortgage brokers don't get paid unless you get keys, so they tend to work harder.  They are also working for YOU, not the bank.  

A Loan Officer usually works for a bank, and he is more interested in keeping his employer happy than he is in keeping YOU happy because he doesn't work for you.

The fees can be higher with a broker, but in some cases, the end lender pays the mortgage broker fees.

If you want the name of a mortgage broker that I worked with on my FHA Streamline Refinance, I will be glad to give you her name.  She specializes in FHA loans and was very knowledgeable when it came to refinancing my FHA loan on an investment property.

The fees will be disclosed to you up front when you receive your Good Faith Estimate.  Sometimes borrowers "shop" for lenders by comparing fees listed in the GFEs from different lenders. The first step is to get a couple of GFEs to compare and determine which option best fits your needs.  Here is a list of helpful threads for you that will help you for understanding abbreviations and for help understanding the Good Faith Estimate: 

Best of luck to you as your start your journey!

WHODAT!!

+1

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.