Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage chances and advice? Just learned of defaulted student loans

tag
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

Mortgage chances and advice? Just learned of defaulted student loans

Found out yesterday, why some of my student loans have been verified as defaulted even after my rehab. A couple of my loans were not picked up in the rehab! So I still have 2 defaulted federal student loans on my account, as well as 2 unpaid defaulted private student loans (Key Bank). This could put a major damper on my plans of purchasing a house next summer!!! So, I think I'm going to go ahead and spend an inq in Nov or Dec to work out with a loan officer if i'll qualify, and if I won't qualify, what steps I'll need to take to get me there. According to the bureaus, the Key Bank stuff is scheduled to fall off 4/2013.

Aside from the student loan stuff, all I have on my report is a paid charge-off with First Premier, which should also fall off sometime before June.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mortgage chances and advice? Just learned of defaulted student loans

Seems like a good plan; although I'm not sure what impact the defaulted federal loans may have on you if you go with a government loan like Fha
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You will have a CAIVRS entry which would cause you to be denied for any government loan program. Here is a site that can help you figure out your options. http://library.hsh.com/articles/government-programs/on-the-feds-deadbeat-database-heres-how-to-get-o...
FICO 9:

Message 3 of 10
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Seems like a good plan; although I'm not sure what impact the defaulted federal loans may have on you if you go with a government loan like Fha

That's kind of why I'm thinking of going ahead and taking a set of hard pulls now.  To see what it is I will qualify for, etc.  And to see if those loans need to be paid off right away, or if I can set up a payment plan.  If they need to be paid off ASAP, I'll hit up the LO for a loan to cover the full amount owed on the student loans, using my Mustang as collateral.

Message 4 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@gijoe4500 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

That's kind of why I'm thinking of going ahead and taking a set of hard pulls now.  To see what it is I will qualify for, etc.  And to see if those loans need to be paid off right away, or if I can set up a payment plan.  If they need to be paid off ASAP, I'll hit up the LO for a loan to cover the full amount owed on the student loans, using my Mustang as collateral.

That seems like a solid approach. He may be able to check CAIVRS for you to verify first that there is an entry. If there is no entry then you may be ok... have the LO check caivrs first before you submit to HPS
FICO 9:

Message 5 of 10
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
That seems like a solid approach. He may be able to check CAIVRS for you to verify first that there is an entry. If there is no entry then you may be ok... have the LO check caivrs first before you submit to HPS

Will do.  I may just bring in my own copies of my report from my USAA credit monitoring account, just to talk to over with him.  That way, there isn't a hard pull, and he can still get an idea of what I'd be working with.

Message 6 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@gijoe4500 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Will do.  I may just bring in my own copies of my report from my USAA credit monitoring account, just to talk to over with him.  That way, there isn't a hard pull, and he can still get an idea of what I'd be working with.

Are you eligible for NFCU membership... are you already a member of navy fed?
FICO 9:

Message 7 of 10
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

no, i am not eligible for NFCU membership. i wish there was some way to qualify me to join, but I dont know of any. they seem to be VERY generous lenders.
Message 8 of 10
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Have you looked in to possible NFCU eligibility?  I see you use USAA credit monitoring, are you a full member?  I have full USAA membership through my father (retired Navy), he opened a $50.00 savings account (only needed to be $5.00) to gain membership for himself, then I was eligible.

You can't just rely on defaulted student loans "falling off", I think you need to deal with them.

You could look into Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America (NACA) for counseling leading to an excellent mortgage - that's what I did.  If you get those loans into rehab and demonstrate steady progress they may be able to write you sooner.  They don't use scores as a criterion.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

@chasmith wrote:

Have you looked in to possible NFCU eligibility?  I see you use USAA credit monitoring, are you a full member?  I have full USAA membership through my father (retired Navy), he opened a $50.00 savings account (only needed to be $5.00) to gain membership for himself, then I was eligible.

You can't just rely on defaulted student loans "falling off", I think you need to deal with them.

You could look into Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America (NACA) for counseling leading to an excellent mortgage - that's what I did.  If you get those loans into rehab and demonstrate steady progress they may be able to write you sooner.  They don't use scores as a criterion.

I am not a full USAA member.  I just in it for the banking.  Neither my mother or father is prior military, and I am unmarried.  I haven't looked at every single little possibility of getting NFCU membership, but I'm 95% sure I won't meet any of the qualifications.  And I am not counting on the defaulted student loans to fall off.  I'm fully planning on paying off the federal student loans.  Just found out that they weren't included in the rehab a couple days ago.

as for the Keybank student loans, as far as I'm concerned, they can go to hell.  I tried to work out a payment plan with them, but they said to pay all or nothing.  No other options.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.