Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage experts

tag
demo18c
Contributor

Mortgage experts

We currently have a contract for a house being built contigent our house in TN sells. The current house was VA and this one being built will be VA. Current house principle balance is 156000. One being built is 222000 and thinking about putting like 5-6k down just to drop the loan amount. My question is if my house does not sell is it remotely possible to use DTI and residual income iot close on the house being built. I am using just my income becaus eI have the better credit score. Wife makes 5500 every two weeks but credit is a little shotty. Here are the facts

gross income             $5900/month

TU score                    692

EQ score                   683

current mortgage        $1154

car payment               $661

CC payment               $150/month

Now for residual income it amounts to $1789 way over VA amount of $736

Like I said earlier income from me wife will not be included into loan so I will not be living paycheck to paycheck but of course we can not use her income because she is not on the loan. Please tell me what you guys think.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
wfreeman3
New Contributor

Re: Mortgage experts

When figuring your DTI ratio without selling your original house you need to add in not only the mortgage payments on both homes but also taxes, insurance, and HOA (if applicable) in addition to utilities.  When you start adding it up your DTI ratio quickly runs over 100%.  If you are thinking about leasing out the first home I think some lenders will give you credit for 75% of the lease amount if you have a signed lease. 

Starting Score: 766
Current Score: 766
Goal Score: 800

Message 2 of 4
demo18c
Contributor

Current mortgage is 1154 includiing PITI and new one will be 1490 inlcuding PITI.I was my understanding that DTI is all minimum payments on CR divided by gross income. Roughly comes out to 55% which is over VA max(i think) of 41%

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 750

Message 3 of 4
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

@demo18c wrote:
Current mortgage is 1154 includiing PITI and new one will be 1490 inlcuding PITI.I was my understanding that DTI is all minimum payments on CR divided by gross income. Roughly comes out to 55% which is over VA max(i think) of 41%

Didnt check the math but you have the concept

55% is HIGH

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.