Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage fico accurate?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage fico accurate?

Is the FICO that you can purchase on here, the 3 B w/scores, accurate for mortgage? I'm referring to the FICO that is given that says something like "score that is most often used for mortgage", not the FICO 8.

I'm confused with all the info I've read on here Smiley Happy overload! Also, we had no idea about our credit and applied for a loan. We were denied and sent a copy of the report. I then bought my scores from here, and they were much lower across the board... Like 30+ points lower!

Trying to get to 640, and wondering how I can know before we do another HP.

Thank you so very much! This is a wonderful community!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Mortgage fico accurate?

@Anonymous wrote:
Is the FICO that you can purchase on here, the 3 B w/scores, accurate for mortgage? I'm referring to the FICO that is given that says something like "score that is most often used for mortgage", not the FICO 8.

I'm confused with all the info I've read on here Smiley Happy overload! Also, we had no idea about our credit and applied for a loan. We were denied and sent a copy of the report. I then bought my scores from here, and they were much lower across the board... Like 30+ points lower!

Yes, the mortgage FICOs are accurate. If you have made changes from the original time your reports and scores were pulled by your lender (increased balances, added cards, paid off installment loans etc) then you will see differences in your score. If you pull the reports and scores on the same date as the mortgage lender, then you will see the same scores.

I have read of one poster that said his portfolio lender uses FICO 08 scores, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, the mortgage FICOs are accurate. If you have made changes from the original time your reports and scores were pulled by your lender (increased balances, added cards, paid off installment loans etc) then you will see differences in your score. If you pull the reports and scores on the same date as the mortgage lender, then you will see the same scores.

I have read of one poster that said his portfolio lender uses FICO 08 scores, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Do you have the link on that?  Handy information for a bunch of people potentially.

My searchFu failed me, even rough timeframe would be helpful Smiley Happy.

        
Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Rev, here is the thread where the poster says the lender used FICO 08 scores...see message 16 for the lender name. I don't have any idea of its validity yet

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/VA-Loans-does-anyone-have-information-advice-experien...

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting.  If I go another round of inquiries late this week as a result of my retooling my mortgage approach, I may toss a flier app in there anyway just to see what they pull for scores if I'm in their lending radius.  Tempted to kind of do it anyway Cat Tongue

Read a little online that some portfolio lenders were using it, and FICO put out a marketing blurb on the strength of FICO 8 for mortgage underwriting as far back as 2010 so it's not for lack of trying to get the industry to move.

I'm ecstatic that my mortgage trifeca moved north of my FICO 8 scores, last year it was dead opposite and I could've qualified if I had a FICO 8 underwriter... if I had been that poster though, I would've switched lender ASAP had I had that score disparity.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.