cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage lenders worrying about your high limit credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage lenders worrying about your high limit credit cards?

Some of you may have read my other thread titled something like "Too Much Credit Misconception."  It was suggested that I post it here, and I think it was a good suggestion.

I do want to add a few disclaimers just to be clear:

1.  I'm not looking for a home, and I don't have a mortgage. 

2.  My total CL across 5 cards is a little over $10k

3.  I don't ever plan on purposely getting an excessive amount of credit via credit cards.

So, with that out of the way, here's why I'm posting.

I'd like to know if anyone has experienced any problems or bumps in the road with a home loan (getting it, getting your rate, anything) because the lender was uncomfortable with the CL available to you from your credit cards.

I ask because my girlfriend's father recently told her that too high of a CL across all of your credit cards could negatively impact your ability to get a home loan (or any loan I suppose).  I couldn't see the logic behind this, and I immediately shot it down as a possibility (dumb on my part), but a few MyFico members explained how it can and has happened in the past.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage lenders worrying about your high limit credit cards?

I had near $40K in credit limit across nine accounts, but was only using 3 of those regularly with a utilization below 20% (yes I know, <9% is best).  So, in my case it wasn't a problem.

I have heard that some loan officers will add the minimum amount due to each of those cards if you maxed them out to your DTI calcuation to see if you could handle that.  Again, that was not done in my case.  But perhpas if someone wsa borderline, they'd do this math.

Message 2 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

My understanding of this is that you should not close down cards or reduce credit lines preemptively because you are worried that a mortgage lender will not approve you.  Having large lines demonstrates that you have managed credit responsibly.

That said, I have heard that some lenders might be uncomfortable with the amount of unsecured credit available to you, but you can always discuss the option of reducing that exposure with the lender at the time you are applying for the mortgage.  I believe I have read other threads suggesting that strategy. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

It usually is not an issue - 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.